View soloed take lane from PRV

David Broman

Question

Hi, all.  I recently upgraded from Sonar X3 to CbB.  I figured, while I'm learning a new interface, why not also start trying features I'd never played with before, such as take lanes.  Trying to figure out how to quickly show the Soloed take lane in the PRV...

I've got one track with 3 take lanes, each a different attempt to perform the same piano part.  I'd like to audition the takes (one at a time) while viewing the auditioned take's notes in the PRV (visual cues will help me decide which take I like the best).  In PRV View menu, I selected "Hide Muted Clips" so I SHOULD only be seeing the take that's soloed (b/c the other clips would be muted).  My hope is that, with the track selected in the Track View, I could Solo each take lane, one at a time, and the PRV would adjust to show the notes from the take lane that's soloed.  However, PRV seems only to show the most recent take lane that was recorded (the take lane at the top of the take lane list), regardless of which take lane I am soloing.  Moreover, I see no velocity info whatsoever in the controller view unless I select that most-recent take lane in the Track View (e.g., click the space to the left of T3).  And presumably it is therefore only showing me the velocity info for that most recent take lane, and not the take lane I've soloed in order to audition.  Selecting other take lanes has no effect on the notes I see in PRV; it only affects whether I see the velocity of the most recent take lane, or no velocities at all.

I have tried this with PRV's Track Pane's Auto Focus set to both on and off.  No change.

I have also tried clicking the upper-right corner of each individual take lane's CLIP, and chose Piano Roll.  That did *something*, but I don't know what.  It seemed to change the PRV's scrolling to rewind back to the beginning (though the Now time was several measures forward), but I can't tell which take's notes I'm seeing.  Also don't see a way to use the PRV's Track Pane to get clarity on what take I'm looking at, or how to change what take I'm looking at.

Pretty sure I'm being boneheaded here.  Can anyone here help me figure out how to use the PRV to view the take lane I'm listening to?  Thanks!

4 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, David Broman said:

I selected "Hide Muted Clips" so I SHOULD only be seeing the take that's soloed (b/c the other clips would be muted).

Soloing a track does not mute clips; it causes the DAW to ignore non-soloed data. 

Muting clips is a separate per-clip function and is the only function that works with "Hide Muted Clips."

49 minutes ago, scook said:

Soloing a track does not mute clips; it causes the DAW to ignore non-soloed data. 

Muting clips is a separate per-clip function and is the only function that works with "Hide Muted Clips."

Thanks, scook!  Just to clarify, I'm not soloing tracks--I'm soloing take lanes.  I'm guessing that has no bearing on your answer, though?

I tried this... I first unmuted/unsoloed all take lanes, and then individually muted all their clips (except one).  Then, one-by-one, I unmuted the single clip from each take lane (while re-muting the prior one), and the PRV did indeed update, as did the audio.  This is a little cumbersome, since I'm "manually soloing" by muting, unmuting, and remuting clips, but it does the trick.

Is this the expected workflow, or is there some kind of shortcut to make what I'm trying to do easier?  Thanks again for your help!

Yes, tracks or lanes, mute is not solo.

This is the process

14 minutes ago, David Broman said:

I tried this... I first unmuted/unsoloed all take lanes, and then individually muted all their clips (except one).  Then, one-by-one, I unmuted the single clip from each take lane (while re-muting the prior one), and the PRV did indeed update, as did the audio.  This is a little cumbersome, since I'm "manually soloing" by muting, unmuting, and remuting clips, but it does the trick.

14 minutes ago, David Broman said:

Is this the expected workflow, or is there some kind of shortcut to make what I'm trying to do easier?

This is how take lanes work in the PRV.

The PRV works at the track level. Instead of take lanes for MIDI consider using separate tracks.