Metronome: "Record Count in: <measures>" bug

Pappa G..

Hi

There appears to be a bug in the metronome setting..

Setting the "Record Count in:" to 1( the metronome completes 4/1 ticks before the record head starts moving)... so that you can anticipate the timing before starting to play for the recording(so that your start lands on the first bar)..

The sound of your first note makes it to the output.. but not to the midi data... when you playback the recording afterwards.. if the initial start of the note was before the start it get's dropped.. I  don't know if there's a missing check as recording start, for any current "held" keys as trigger events.

Thank you bandlab for a wonderful product..

Edited by Pappa G..
explanation

That has nothing to do with the metronome and it is not a bug.

You should always leave at least one empty measure before you start recording because 

1: if you anticipate the downbeat by even the tiniest fraction, there is no way for CW to catch the note on before zero.

2: it takes an amount of time greater than zero for any instruments virtual or otherwise to be able to start after the play command.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pappa G.. said:

The sound of your first note makes it to the output.. but not to the midi data... when you playback the recording afterwards.. if the initial start of the note was before the start it get's dropped

Do you have Punch Recording enabled? Normally an early note will be placed at 1:01:000 no matter how early it is, but if Punch is enabled, it might be dropped. I'd have to check.

Historically, I've started almost everything at 1:01:000 unless there are 'pick-up notes before the first downbeat and never have an issue with lost notes.

That said, I most often record without a click (or count-in) lately so would have to double-check that nothing has changed.

EDIT: Did a quick test and confirmed a note played on the last beat of the count-in (i.e.  a whole quarter note early) was recorded at 1:01:000 as expected.  Enabling Punch muted the sound until the end of the count-in but did not affect recording the MIDI note. So I don't know offhand what could cause the reported behavior.  Are you using USB MIDI from a controller or MIDI DIN on a standalone MIDI interface?

Edited by David Baay