Audio Interface Driver not Compatible with Windows 11??

Steph

Question

Hi! - first things first: I'm an idiot.  

Two: I looked up some YouTube tutorial about how to get started in recording.  The guy says you have to go to Preferences -> Audio -> Playback and Recording -> Driver Mode and set it to Asio, for reasons XYZ I suppose.  Upon downloading the drivers for my state-of-the-art Behringer U-Phoria UM2 ($45...) a window popped up informing me that these drivers aren't compatible and create problems if you proceed.  Would I like instead to use driver mode MME or Wasapi or whatever the hell it was?  What could I do - I said "Suuure!"  

Am I off to a bad start?  Shall I go back and proceed with the non-compatible driver mode Asio instead?  

Thanks so much.

Clueless Steph

5 answers to this question

Welcome to the forum.
Unfortunately, the state-of-the-art Behringer interface doesn't have a state-of-the-art audio driver. It uses ASIO4All, which is an older, less-capable driver and has nothing to do with ASIO except for the name.
Your on-board sound card may have an ASIO driver, but it is just as bad, hence the "incompatible" warning.
Maybe you can use one of the WASAPI modes, I don't have a Behringer to try. Maybe you can use ASIO4All. Some folks are able to get okay performance using it, but it's not optimum.
I suggest saving up your pennies and buying a Focusrite.

OK well thanks dude.  One of the available driver modes is indeed Wasapi ("Wasapi Shared" - sounds close enough for me.)  I'm making do.  Except my guitar's feedbacking like a mother when I click that little "Input Echo" button next to the red "Arm" one, and that's with all guitar, soundcard and speaker dials turned to "sane" - console fader too.  If I turn them down low enough to kill the feedback, I can't hear myself coming out.

There's some microphone somewhere picking up everything around me.  I gotta find and kill that thing...

Thanks a lot Greg - obviously I'm going to live on this forum for a bit...

Clueless Steph

If it's a laptop, make sure the camera mic is off.
Feedback, without knowing how you have everything connected and how you're recording, there's not much I can say except 'turn it down!' but you've already done that.
Knowing what gear you use would help folks help you instead of asking you more questions. You can list it in your signature at the bottom, things like interface, operating system, model of computer and its specs (a short list), I have a relatively modest system that works well (and is ancient) so I don't have a lot of detail in mine, but any info you can provide there will enable fellow forumites to help you quicker. Do that under Profile.
Good luck!