Jump to content
  • 0
DSL

separate drum synth audio outs in CbB

Question

Hi Friends,

I have acquired BFD3 and want to record the outputs onto individual tracks. I watched a video where the presenter changed the default output for each drum to mono1, mono2 etc and then set his DAW track inputs accordingly - but he was using Logic or somesuch. I tried to do the same in my DAW and it didn't work...

Can anyone please tell me how to do this in CbB? I would imagine it is the same procedure for any drum synth with multiple outputs...

Thanks,

Dave

 

BFD outs.PNG

track inputs.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

Your time may be better spent learning the plug-in.  It is a large/complex plug-in with the ability to tailor each kit piece individually in the plug-in with the myriad of built-in effects and routing options to mix in the plug-in to a single stereo out.

That said, if you really want to bypass BFD internal mixer, start simple. Do everything in little steps and you should be able to figure out how it works.

Once you get the entire kit setup with MIDI and audio tracks, save it as a track template and use the template to load BFD in the future.

Here are some little steps to get you started -

  • In CbB,  drag the BFD3 plug-in into a project with only MIDI source selected in the Insert Soft synth Options dialog. You can always create a folder and move the tracks into it later.
  • In BFD3, load a kit
  • In CbB
    • add an audio track,
    • change the label to Kick
    • set the interleave* to mono
    • set the input to BFD3m01 (Note: BFD3m... are BFD3 mono outputs, BFD3s... are stereo).
  • In BFD3
    • change the Kick in the BFD3 mixer to Mono 1
    • test by clicking on the Kick in the BFD3 kit view
  • In CbB
    •  add an audio track
    • change the label to snare
    • set the interleave* to mono
    • set the input to BFD3m02
  • In BFD3
    • change the Smare in the BFD3 mixer to Mono 2
    • test by clicking on the Snare in the BFD3 kit view

At this point, chances are the kick and snare will both play albeit at different levels on both tracks. This is because BFD3, by default allows the kick and snare to bleed into each other's microphones.  This is controlled in BFD3 in the tech display to the right of the Kit and Mixer display.

Repeat as desired for each kit piece. 

* Track interleave is located in the track inspector and depending on Workspace and Track Control drop down settings in the track view track headers.

7nkequH.png

 

  • Great Idea 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Erm no, I just dragged it to the track pane! Ok, how do I put this right please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Sorry, I'm fairly new to CbB and I've only had SI drums to play with up until now, so I didn't understand your reply. Will I have to reload BFD3 into a new track and set the track outputs at that time? Sorry if I sound a bit dumb, I'm a bit confused...please assume I need to be walked through the procedure, if you have the time.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Posted (edited)

See advice below about learning the plug-in.

 

Edited by User 905133

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

@DSL have you enabled show mono I/O in preferences if I remember correctly it says outputs but it enables both. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
29 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I will try to find the online document or a video for you.   

While I'm looking:  Find the Insert Soft Synth Options Dialog very helpful. If you are not familiar with it, Open up the Synth Rack View, there's an icon for "Insert Soft Synth Options." That will bring up the options dialog to insert a synth.  If you have tool tips off, its the 4th button from the left at the top. See this (Figure 352, button E):

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Browser.11.html

This page explains the different options:  http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Dialogs2.014.html including:

It is the soft synth itself that determines how many outputs it has. The "Instrument Track Per Output" option will create tracks for however many outputs the soft synth has.

Thanks so much, I'll try and get my head around that! I am constantly amazed by how great the people on this forum are...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, DSL said:

Thanks so much, I'll try and get my head around that! I am constantly amazed by how great the people on this forum are...

I defer to scook's excellent advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 hours ago, scook said:

Your time may be better spent learning the plug-in.  It is a large/complex plug-in with the ability to tailor each kit piece individually in the plug-in with the myriad of built-in effects and routing options to mix in the plug-in to a single stereo out.

That said, if you really want to bypass BFD internal mixer, start simple. Do everything in little steps and you should be able to figure out how it works.

Once you get the entire kit setup with MIDI and audio tracks, save it as a track template and use the template to load BFD in the future.

Here are some little steps to get you started -

  • In CbB,  drag the BFD3 plug-in into a project with only MIDI source selected in the Insert Soft synth Options dialog. You can always create a folder and move the tracks into it later.
  • In BFD3, load a kit
  • In CbB
    • add an audio track,
    • change the label to Kick
    • set the interleave* to mono
    • set the input to BFD3m01 (Note: BFD3m... are BFD3 mono outputs, BFD3s... are stereo).
  • In BFD3
    • change the Kick in the BFD3 mixer to Mono 1
    • test by clicking on the Kick in the BFD3 kit view
  • In CbB
    •  add an audio track
    • change the label to snare
    • set the interleave* to mono
    • set the input to BFD3m02
  • In BFD3
    • change the Smare in the BFD3 mixer to Mono 2
    • test by clicking on the Snare in the BFD3 kit view

At this point, chances are the kick and snare will both play albeit at different levels on both tracks. This is because BFD3, by default allows the kick and snare to bleed into each other's microphones.  This is controlled in BFD3 in the tech display to the right of the Kit and Mixer display.

Repeat as desired for each kit piece. 

* Track interleave is located in the track inspector and depending on Workspace and Track Control drop down settings in the track view track headers.

7nkequH.png

 

Dear Scook,

Thanks so much - once again you have helped me out, and it is greatly appreciated.

I got BFD3 because a friend has it and I have worked with him using it; so I have a little familiarity with it (but not very much!). Unfortunately, he uses Pro Tools and has no knowledge of CbB. I will follow your instructions; AND the one to learn the plugin!!

Thanks again,

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I'm curious, @scook, why are you suggesting doing the outputs one by one rather than having Cakewalk create all the outputs at the time of track creation?. As follows:

image.png.9e540cb34d5a48264a6bf68927d8ef33.png

I'm still kinda new at the multiple outputs thing; sometimes when I've tried it Cakewalk has created approximately 3,500 audio tracks for a sampler (kidding, but it seems like it when I have to go through and delete the unused output tracks).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Sure, one could use the "all mono" option which results in 32 audio tracks, 16 BFD3 mono tracks and 16 left and right channels for the stereo tracks.

Rather than mess with cleaning up the unwanted tracks, in this case, I was suggesting a different method as a learning exercise, one track at a time.

Often, multi-out drum synths involve a combination of stereo and mono tracks. Both "all track output" options don't quite fit the bill.
 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 6/29/2022 at 3:35 AM, scook said:

Rather than mess with cleaning up the unwanted tracks, in this case, I was suggesting a different method as a learning exercise, one track at a time.

Yeah, those unwanted tracks. I'll try it the way you described next time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 6/28/2022 at 9:19 PM, Wookiee said:

@DSL have you enabled show mono I/O in preferences if I remember correctly it says outputs but it enables both. 

Not needed for softsynths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...