VST scan hangs or never finishes

Ok, I reinstalled my SPLAT new build, from the command center then upgraded to cakewalk BandLab. The initial VST scan hung at one particular .DLL, so I restarted and it hung on a different .DLL. Now I no longer see the blue/green tab in the bottom right hand corner that notifies of the VST scan actions but after 24 hrs of running if I try a reset in preferences it states there is still a VST scan running. It has not scanned all the paths yet to my knowledge. Is this common? Can somebody help here? Any advice would be most appreciated.

I don't believe it is a common occurrence any more especially after the "Scan in Sandbox" option was added to Cakewalk. Used to happen to me every time running full scans or resets in Platinum. I would have to move the z3ta+2 plug-in out of the scan path in order for the scan to complete. Once complete, I could put z3ta+2 back and the synth would get picked up with the next scan.

If the scanner does not complete and is stuck in memory, it will prevent another scan from starting.

1. Either kill the vstscan.exe using the Windows Task Manager or restart the PC.
  2. Then start Cakewalk by BandLab. The scanner should start again as long as the scanner is not set to manual scan in preferences. If the scanner is set to manual scan skip to step 6
  3. If it fails to complete again. Change the scan option drop down to manual scan in preferences (see link in step 2)
  4. Kill the vstscan.exe using Windows Task Manager or restart the PC
  5. Start Cakewalk by BandLab again
  6. Open VST Setting in preferences (see link in step 2) and make sure "Scan in Sandbox" and "Generate Scan Log" are selected
  7. The click the Scan button.

Whether the scan completes or not there should be a log created. The full name of the log is %appdata%\Cakewalk\Logs\VstScan.log. The log may help with sorting out the problem.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

• 1 year later...