Display Envelopes on Percentage Scale

Jerry Gerber

Hi all,

There's a setting in Preferences-Customization-Display that I've never understood in all my decades of using Cakewalk.  Whether I check or uncheck the setting "Display Envelopes on Percentage Scale" I don't see any visual change to where the envelope sits relative to the audio waveform.  What I expect, when I check it, is for the envelope line at 0dB to sit right in the center of the waveform window--exactly between the left and right waveforms.  But it doesn't appear that way, it doesn't change its position at all whether it's checked or unchecked.  It always appears a little above the center of the left waveform. 

What am I not understanding here?

Thanks!

Jerry

1 hour ago, jsg said:

Hi all,

There's a setting in Preferences-Customization-Display that I've never understood in all my decades of using Cakewalk.  Whether I check or uncheck the setting "Display Envelopes on Percentage Scale" I don't see any visual change to where the envelope sits relative to the audio waveform.  What I expect, when I check it, is for the envelope line at 0dB to sit right in the center of the waveform window--exactly between the left and right waveforms.  But it doesn't appear that way, it doesn't change its position at all whether it's checked or unchecked.  It always appears a little above the center of the left waveform. 

What am I not understanding here?

Thanks!

Jerry

Every envelope has a different level what it sees as "0dB." Some envelopes sits right at the top and bottom ceiling on it's 0dB others halfway up. Most of Cakewalks envelopes on its own stuff sits half up, where 100dB represent "0" and the top of ceiling that 127dB. 

I guess this comes down to the plugins/effects own built-in "headroom." I think it's only your time plugins thay sits dead center on the clip. 🙆🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️ I need to check this out.