how to phrase my problem to find an answer in the forums

Dan Lee

Question

I am trying to figure out what went wrong when I down loaded the ASIO4ALL driver beta  and it removed the ASIO choice as an input source.  I have  still shows a PreSonus 22VSL audio interface and it does show as a input source but I get NO input sound now..and all my previous work files lock up whenever I try to play them back..I am new to cakewalk and I have a Microsoft Surfacepro running WIN 10... any help would be verry much appreciated as would any direct links in the forums as I think that others have a very similar problem..Thanks for any and all help.

1 answer to this question

First of all, don't use ASIO4ALL. This interface comes with ASIO drivers which are the correct and best ones to use. ASIO4ALL is kind of a stop-gap wrapper for devices that don't have proper ASIO drivers, and not a great one at that. The rule is, if there's a native ASIO driver, always choose that first*.

Exit out of Cakewalk, then go and uninstall ASIO4ALL.

Make sure your 22VSL is unplugged.

Go here and download the Universal Control app: https://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-22VSL/downloads

Install that, then plug your 22VSL in, and it should detect OK and make the driver available.

Start Cakewalk, and go to Preferences > Playback and Recording and make sure Audio / Driver Mode is set to ASIO, then go to Audio / Devices and put ticks in the boxes for your 22VSL. There's a good chance this will already just be set up and ready to go, but it's worth checking this stuff.

Exit out of Preferences and you should be good to go. :)

EDIT: * The one exception to the "always choose ASIO first" rule is if you're using an onboard Realtek sound interface. The ASIO driver for that is utter garbage, and people should use WASAPI for that. But for any good audio interfaces, such as the 22VSL, ASIO is definitely the best thing to use.

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 2