sending patch changes via midi to external device not worling

morter

Question

I'm trying to set up my whammy 5 external foot pedal to receive programme changes from cakewalk. so i have a midi track, input and output devices are correct, opened the event list, set "kind" to "patch change", but then when i try and set the bank/patch parameters, i don't know what to put. so when i click the "data" section i get "bank select mode" (i can select normal, controller 0 ,controller 32 or patch 100, i have tried all of them.) "bank" , (which has no options in the pop down box but i can enter values. i tried entering the values for the corresponding programme change on my whammy 5, nothing happened.) and "patch" (which just gives me a list of instruments, not helpful for me.). can someone help me with where I'm going wrong? i know its connected and working fine, because the effect I'm trying to achieve is to switch between octave up, middle value and octave down. i managed to get a similar effect changing expression value through cakewalk, but i get a dry and wet signal when i do that, as it has to be in harmony mode. thanks for any help on this.      

1 answer to this question

I use Patch Changes events to external devices (A Yamaha SW1000XG) all the time - no issues here.

You might want to check the user guide for you foot pedal, (Page 10 and 11 I think).

I suspect bank needs to be zero and the Patch numbers need to correspond to the numbers mentioned in the foot controller’s user guide

Reading the manual, you would want to know which mode the foot controller is in: Classic Mode or Chord Mode as the Program Change numbers are different for each mode.

Note: I do not own the Whammy 5 External Foot Pedal, but I am just going be the user guide.

https://www.digitech.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-masterCatalog_Harman/default/dw18aa3ac1/pdfs/Whammy_OM_EN.pdf

• Like 1