How do I limit the Velocity FX to just the selected midi notes? - Solved

David_

I am trying the Cakewalk FX Velocity "tool" to apply modifiactions to midi note velocities, as described here: https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR%20X2&language=3&help=EditingMIDI.57.html

So I select some midi notes as described here:

To change note velocities

1. Select the data to be affected. (I am using the I bar - Select button)

The notes change colour to show they have been selected, I apply the FX and it applies it to ALL the midi notes from the very start to the very end of the project. I have tried a few settings trying to limit the selection window but no matter what I try, the FX does them all.

How do I limit the process to just he selected notes?

CW version 2021.09 (build 141, 64bit)

Thanks but I wanting to randomize, scale and use the other functions the FX Velocity "tool" offers over a range of midi notes/events. I'm ok editing/changing single notes by hand, I was wanting an automated process which the Velcocity FX promised.

28 minutes ago, David_ said:

Thanks but I wanting to randomize, scale and use the other functions the FX Velocity "tool" offers over a range of midi notes/events. I'm ok editing/changing single notes by hand, I was wanting an automated process which the Velcocity FX promised.

While I have never used it on a selection, it seems to work for me.

• Set the Edit Filter to Notes
  • Lasso select some notes
  • Right-click in the clip
  • Select Velocity from MIDI plug-ins
  • Change some values in the plug-in and click OK

Also tested by

• Make a selection by click-dragging on the time line
  • Right-click in the clip
  • Select Velocity from MIDI plug-ins
  • Change some values in the plug-in and click OK

Only the selected notes were altered.

• Great Idea 1

Thanks that did the trick :) It seems I overlooked the Edit Filter and also now realise your first suggestion does do a range, I assumed it was for single events. Also I was doing the editing on the Piano Roll which doesn't seems to apply the changes, but does in the Track View.

All sorted now thanks :)

• David_ changed the title to How do I limit the Velocity FX to just the selected midi notes? - Solved