stuck MIDI notes

whizzy

Hi all

I'm new to CakeWalk, so hopefully I missed something causing my problem.

I have connected a MIDI keyboard, via a MIDI <-> USB interface to my PC. The keyboard functions properly, all keys send appropriate midi on and off codes (checked with MIDI-OX monitor). However, when I play short notes, the "off" event seems not to be properly handled by CakeWalk. The tone remains, just as if the sustain is pressed (which it is not).

When looking at the piano roll. I notice that the piano keys on the left actually turn from white to gray and back to white, so the key off event is registered. The note, however, sometimes is remaining (as id sustain is active) and very hard to turn "off". I searched a lot, but have not fund a solution so far.  Any ideas anyone?

MIDIOx will confirm that the note-off is being sent by the keyboard. Look in the Event List View to confirm that Cakewalk is receiving them.

If the stuck notes are part of a rapid sequence it is possible you are overrunning the MIDI buffer.  Edit >Preferences > MIDI - Playback and Recording

13 hours ago, bdickens said:

What keyboard?  What interface?  Driver? What synth are you using? 

Without some information our guess is as good as yours.

Good questions!

Keyboard: Yamaha DS55 / Interface:  Generic MIDI-USB2.0  (Latest Win10 drivers).

Using the internal SI-electric piano as synth.

Edited by whizzy
aditional info

I checked the event list as suggested. The recorded events are not (as far as I can see) separate note on and note off events; they are complete note events. So the "stuck"notes show op as notes with an extreme prolonged duration. So this gives me no clue as to why the "off"  event is not processed as expected.

(when using the MIDI-OX monitor all key "on" messages have a corresponding "off" message, regardless how short/repeated the key-action has been.)

4 hours ago, whizzy said:

Generic MIDI-USB2.0  (Latest Win10 drivers)

Notwithstanding that MIDI-OX shows Note Offs being received, I suspect the combination of  a generic  MIDI-USB cable, generic Windows MIDI driver, and ancient (c. 1988) keyboard is resulting in malformatted/mis-timed MIDI messages that Cakewalk is not able to process properly.

If the MIDI-USB cable has a dedicated driver available, you can try installing that. Otherwise, I would recommend upgrading to a 'real' MIDI interface, and or finding a newer used keyboard with built-in USB interface.