Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Carr

External Command to Set Timeline Position

Question

An Unusual request perhaps - does anyone know of a way to send a command from an external device to CBB to move the timeline to a particular position? 

Similar to a Song Position Pointer MIDI message I guess, but I'm not having any luck in getting CBB to respond to those..

TIA

10 answers to this question

10 hours ago, Matthew Carr said:

An Unusual request perhaps - does anyone know of a way to send a command from an external device to CBB to move the timeline to a particular position? 

Similar to a Song Position Pointer MIDI message I guess, but I'm not having any luck in getting CBB to respond to those..

TIA

By moving "the timeline to a particular position" are you meaning the move the NOW cursor?

If so, then my “thinking outside the square” solution would be to write a CAL script to do that.  Then use MIDI note keybinding to run that CAL. 

Mind you, the issue with CAL scripts is that sometimes, Cakewalk is not in a state to run CAL scripts at times.  If the menu item Process | run CAL entry is greyed out, then CAL scripts will not run - even from key bindings.

It would also depend on how you would program your “external device” to send the right MIDI events.

11 hours ago, Promidi said:

By moving "the timeline to a particular position" are you meaning the move the NOW cursor?

Yes, sorry for not being clearer!

11 hours ago, Promidi said:

If so, then my “thinking outside the square” solution would be to write a CAL script to do that.  Then use MIDI note keybinding to run that CAL. 

Mind you, the issue with CAL scripts is that sometimes, Cakewalk is not in a state to run CAL scripts at times.  If the menu item Process | run CAL entry is greyed out, then CAL scripts will not run - even from key bindings.

It would also depend on how you would program your “external device” to send the right MIDI events.

That is definitely some lateral thinking! I hadn't really thought about using CAL - although the fact it's sort of deprecated and isn't always available to run is a downside

Thanks for a great suggestion. It's a shame there isn't some sort of documented API for Cakewalk, or another way though. 

20 hours ago, Matthew Carr said:

although the fact it's sort of deprecated and isn't always available to run is a downside

Even with this downside, I still use CAL scripts for many things in CbB.  Makes my MIDI sequencing so much easier and light years quicker....

In fact if the bakers ever drop support for CAL totally (though I don’t ever think that will happen), I would stay with the last version that supported it.  Same goes for Studioware panels.

Hi:)

@Matthew Carr

What does "External" mean? (Bluetooth)Midi Connection or from a Tablet or Handy?

There are different possibilities. From a Controller you need either a button and a Rotor to choose the bar number or just use a fader to move to a specific bar.

Same with Tablet or Handy. "Goto" Command and typing in the bar number....

SPP should also work with syncing Cakewalk....

Bassman.

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2021 at 8:41 AM, Heinz Hupfer said:

Hi:)

@Matthew Carr

What does "External" mean? (Bluetooth)Midi Connection or from a Tablet or Handy?

There are different possibilities. From a Controller you need either a button and a Rotor to choose the bar number or just use a fader to move to a specific bar.

Same with Tablet or Handy. "Goto" Command and typing in the bar number....

SPP should also work with syncing Cakewalk....

Bassman.

The 'External' input will be from a setlist manager app, so basically I'm looking to send a message from the setlist app to move to a particular Now time in Bandlab.

The 'Goto' command will allow me to type a bar number to go to, but I don't want to be typing in bar numbers - the external command needs to specify the bar number to move to.

If I can control the Now time via an external controller, as you suggest, then this would be a great starting point - can you give a bit more detail please?

Thanks,

Matt

Edited by Matthew Carr

Posted (edited)

HI:)

I've made a short video with a small AZController preset: (Attached the preset)

Button 1 jumps to Bar 100

Button 2 jumps to Bar 150

Button 3 jumps to Bar 200

Button 4 jumps to Bar 10

It is also possible to set save several Now Times in the timeline and load them with Button Presses but they are gone when you exit the project. 

So this is the better possibility. You can have as many Now Times as many Buttons you have or add some Ctrl, Shift or Alt Buttons for more NowTimes.

Now the problem is how to access the Buttons. Normally via a Midi Command, in this case CC 57,58,59,60.

I know it is possible to send these CCs via a Handy(OSC) or a Tablet, but therefore you have to ask Alexey(AZSlow, www.azslow.com) cause I have never used this....

With Midi controller it is very easy as you can see:)

P.S. I forgot, you can lay this on a Rotor or Slider, so 127 Positions with just 1 Rotor/Slider, but it's a bit tricky to just move 1 value, so better just 64 Points per Rotor/Slider. You could combine a Rotor and a Button. So Choose the Position with the Rotor and Move to with the Button.

Greetz;)

Bassman.

Jump to Position.spp

Edited by Heinz Hupfer
writing mistakes

On 5/28/2021 at 9:15 AM, Heinz Hupfer said:

I've made a short video with a small AZController preset: (Attached the preset)

Thanks so much Bassman, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking to do..  and including a preset for AZController is great!

Sorry for the  late reply, my band performed our first post pandemic gig yesterday - good times! Lots of people commented how good it was to be able to see live music again.

I'm wondering how AZController achieves it's integration, it seems to have pretty deep control over Cakewalk, so perhaps there an API available somewhere?

My setlist manager has a scripting engine, so it might be possible to do this directly, and avoid another piece of software running on my live rig.

1 hour ago, Matthew Carr said:

Thanks so much Bassman, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking to do..  and including a preset for AZController is great!

Sorry for the  late reply, my band performed our first post pandemic gig yesterday - good times! Lots of people commented how good it was to be able to see live music again.

I'm wondering how AZController achieves it's integration, it seems to have pretty deep control over Cakewalk, so perhaps there an API available somewhere?

My setlist manager has a scripting engine, so it might be possible to do this directly, and avoid another piece of software running on my live rig.

AZController uses the Cakewalk Control Surface API :  https://github.com/Cakewalk/Cakewalk-Control-Surface-SDK

Cheers guys, the API looks interesting and started me wondering if I could write a small app to expose the controls I need via OSC (which can be sent from my setlist manager)... but it looks like AZController may have that covered!

Will have a dig in over the weekend and see how I get on

Thanks again for all your help!