Updated Cakewalk 27.01.0.098 will not run

Bob Greaves

I get two error messages when trying to update. One is that the C++ cannot be found, but it is there and all my other programs that require it are running just fine. The second error I get is that the install process cannot register a DLL. Try again does not succeed, ignore moves along, but then when I try to launch Cakewalk all I get is the splash screen. Checking the task manager confirms that the program is not running.

I was previously using 26.11.0.099 with no issues. But when updating to Setup  27.01.0.098 it fails. 

I should add that every program I have that requires the C++ runtime gives me the exact same error and I have never been able to fix it,. Nonetheless, all the other programs install and run just fine anyway. I cannot install the latest 2019 C++ runtime. But microsoft support assures me that it has not changed since 2017 and that the 2017 version I do have installed is totally identical which explains why the failure to install 2019 has no consequence. For example, Wirecast updates run just fine, Davinci Resolve updates run just fine even though they too fail to install the C++ updates.

The difference this time was that the install process tried to install a Microsoft Edge component which failed.