Tempo question, maybe simple?

HelpMeSaturate

Question

Hello, I've grown very custom to recording all the verses needed over a instrumental in pro tools, worrying about setting the tempo later only to line up with the grid and be able to copy choruses over to where they need to repeat. Pro tools without conductor mode enabled acts as just a placeholder and gives you grid lines. I.E. it doesn't warp the audio or anything when changing the tempo. I can't figure out how to make it act like this in cakewalk, if i set the tempo to the instrumental it will throw my verses completely off beat, unless the tempo is set and recorded prehand.

Is there a way to do what I want, without setting the tempo prehand?

Thank you!

2 answers to this question

If I read your issue correctly, I think you are not "locking" the position of the clips.
Its over in the "Properties" in the Inspector "I" on the keyboard if its not open in track view.
I most always do some kind of "scratch" take to create the tempo map from.
Beat one needs to be "locked" to a measure, generally marked "COUNT" (its never measure 1 for me).
Then a "tempo" needs to be set at that measure, that way as you set tempos later on the "clip" stays
locked to timeline.
Hope that makes sense...

tom

ie:

1                      5                       7                      11                     ETC.
                         COUNT        INTRO         VERSE 1
100bpm      100bpm        100bpm      99.5bpm

Thanks for the advice, but I couldn't get the locking method to change anything, let me explain again what I'm doing..

Lets say I grab an instrumental from the internet, without touching the tempo in bandlab (DEFAULT 120), I go and record 3 verses, Now I should of set the tempo prehand, I know this, but I like to not have to even worry about it. Then, when I decide, "okay this is a good song lets set it up" I like to go and set the tempo so the gridlines are on beat according to the instrumental, in pro tools this would work fine, but in band lab once I do this.. something changes and all the verses are now in a completely different spot.

Can you advise once more on how I could do this, if possible? Thank you.

EDIT: I found it thanks to your advice on where to look, "timebase: absolute"

TY!

Edited by HelpMeSaturate