Cut and paste bug: Cut ignores space designated in selection

Craig Reeves

This also happens to me occasionally. I work in staff view, and it will paste the notes several measures away, or sometimes not paste at all, though the Edit History shows a paste did occur. I have to shut down and restart when this happens. It is a serious detriment to my workflow. I will try Ripple Editing next time. I never use it otherwise, due to the nature of my workflow, but if it solves the problem it's an acceptable workaround, certainly better than restarting.

You'll notice that the "Cut" operation changed the selected area in the tracks after the clips were transferred to the clipboard (ha). Sort of "shrank" the selected area to include just the clips, not the beginning space.

I'm actually surprised that Copy+Paste worked the way it did. It would be nice if "Copy" and "Cut" were consistent.

Is it a bug? Debatable.

An inconsistency? Arguable.

Is Ripple Edit the solution? Not in my opinion. It is, however, another tool in the toolbox that could be used to perform the operation you're trying to do.

Edited by Colin Nicholls
  • Like 1

Sometimes I can unselect the extra space that gets selected erroneously, while holding the control key, and then it will paste normally. doesn't always work though. sometimes, after the computer has been running awhile, Cakewalk just seems to get tired or confused. Like me, but not as often.