Mannymac

Improve engine load?

Hi folks,

I love Cakewalk. Love the UI, the mixer, the Console 1 integration. It is just super intuitive to mix in it.
What I dont love is how Cakewalk is seemingly unable to make full use of my PC's power hower.

I've got a a 3XS Audio PC from Scan.co.uk, Ryzen 3950x and 32 GB of DDR4 Ram, Windows 10 with an RME Babyface.

I have plugin load balancing enabled, internet and anti virus scanner are  of and the highest DPC latency I get in LatencyMon is  36 micro seconds.

So In theroy it should all work.

However in a project with 20 tracks and 10 busses at 48khz I have to run at a 2048 buffer. I get a CPU load of 17% but an engine load of 100% and occasional crackles?

What gives? Am I missing a setting here  (I tried all 3 thread modes in the settings.) How can Cakewalk run out of steam when it uses about 15% of my power?

I do use fairly heavy bus processing and light processing on individual tracks which sadly means freezing wont work.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated. I heard Reaper is better when it comes to this but I really dont want to switch.

Edited by Mannymac

Are you tracking (recording) or mixing/mastering? Running a higher buffer for mixing shouldn't be an issue.

What plugins are you using on the busses? Linear Phase type plug-ins will probably have a negative impact on real-time processing due to look-ahead buffering. Again, that should not be an issue for mixing/mastering, as buffering during playback should accommodate that.

7 hours ago, Mannymac said:

So In theroy it should all work.

What theory?

Given there are no hard limits imposed by the DAW, it is pretty easy to create a project that won't run.

However in a project with 20 tracks and 10 busses at 48khz I have to run at a 2048 buffer. I get a CPU load of 17% but an engine load of 100% and occasional crackles?

That is a pretty high bus to track ratio.

There is no information provided about the tracks themselves. 20 audio tracks is nothing. 20 tracks of deeply sampled or computationally complex synth plug-ins are a different story.

Ten buses simply summing up the 20 tracks is nothing. Ten buses with tens of plug-ins on each may not run at all.

I do use fairly heavy bus processing and light processing on individual tracks which sadly means freezing wont work.

While freezing may not an option, bounce and archive is.  It may be time to commit. Or rethink the project layout.

• Like 1

You shouldn't be having dropouts. I can run my dual core i5 Surface Pro 3 at 70% CPU at 64 samples. Something is up....

Have you tried a different USB port? Have you tried disabling power management on the USB port?

Have you take the machine offline?

R

20 hours ago, Mannymac said:

What gives? Am I missing a setting here  (I tried all 3 thread modes in the settings.) How can Cakewalk run out of steam when it uses about 15% of my power?

The plugins you're using and which ones you have open can make a big difference. Your graphics card could be the bottleneck. 

I had a similar problem and upgraded my graphics card to add OpenGL processing capacity. Now I can mix at lower buffer sizes and with a higher CPU load without dropouts.

I use a lot of iZotope plugins that have very useful but processor intensive displays that use OpenGL for graphics processing. Turns out a lot of plugin and some DAW manufactures rely extensively on OpenGL but never mention it in their system recommendations. I like to have several iZotope plugins open at once while I'm tweaking a mix to adjust front to back placement, tonal balance and masking. When I'd do this I'd start getting dropouts, pops and clicks while my 6-core 12-thread CPU was cruising along at 10%-20% load. In fact, Pete Kaine of Scan helped me a lot in trouble shooting the problem in this thread on the SOS Forum.   Since you have a Scan DAW, I'd recommend you talk to Pete.

• Like 1