I Wish These Were on Cakewalk. (A Feature Request Combo)

murat k.

I’ve compiled my feature requests in one big image.

Please check the image.

The List:

1 ) Selected Area Duration Indicator:
Instead of looking the Large Export Module with every selection to get selection duration, we can see the duration next to the cursor with visible time formats. It is the same as we do it in Logic.  (Actually I saw it today, I wasn't aware of that when I requested.) 
2 ) Tempo Map Integration to the Timeline:
Viewing Tempo Map on the Track View can make to work  with the tempo much more easier.
Also, it could be useful if we had snap settings to  draw tempo by a specific amount.
3 ) Splitting the Timeline:
Viewing two proportions of the Timeline at the same  time will allow us to copy and paste clips at different  times without scrolling the Timeline every time.
4 ) Independent Synth Rack:
The Synth Rack is dependent on the Browser Section at  now. When we dock it with the Browser Section, we can't  see the Assigned Controls on the Synth Rack. And docking  the Synth Rack to the Multidock is not handy because we  use Multidock with a wide and short state. So if we dock  it independently to the sides, we can use it anytime with  controls, and we can see more synth on the screen.
5 ) Double Multidock:
Nowadays people are working with wide screens.  Working with two Multidock at the same time would improve  our efficiency.
6 ) Save/Load Matrix Presets:
When I make some loops with the Matrix View and  assign MIDI to the Cells or Columns, I can’t use them  with another project. Saving and loading our Matrix  presets can be quite useful.
7 ) Bandlab Assistant Integration:
We call it Cakewalk by Bandlab but Cakewalk still  behaves like an irrelevant software with the Bandlab.  Integrating Bandlab Assistant to the Cakewalk would allow  us to use Bandlab loops directly from the Cakewalk and  import our work in Bandlab Cloud to the Cakewalk.
8 ) Upload Cakewalk Projects directly to the Bandlab:
Uploading to the Bandlab is still an outside job for  Cakewalk. A plugin for uploading our work to Bandlab  without leaving the Cakewalk screen could be nice.
9 ) Track Manager on the Main Screen:
Managing track visibility from the Main Screen can be  much handier than loading from another window. Also  saving and loading the state of the visibility by Track  Visibility Presets can help our productivity.
10 ) Measure Beat alignment to the Timecode:
People commonly use CC assignments in the first  measure to prepare them for the project. Starting  measures from 0 can be quite helpful. Also aligning  measures to the Timecode by using Set Timecode At Now  command will make it easier to see the exact measure  amount of the project when we start different from the  beginning. And measures before the Timecode will become  negative at that point.
11 ) Step Sequencer MIDI Input on Note Names:
While recording we can click (or touch) Note Names to  input notes.
12 ) Black Screen Blink on Video Pause:
It becomes very disturbing while working.
13 ) Center-Aligned Narrow Plugins:
Narrow plugins are coming with a left-aligned state  and it is not looking quite right, if you center the  plugin, it looks OK.
14 ) Color Menu Over The Clip:
Bringing the Color menu over the clip by a shortcut  to change the clip's color can be handy.
15 ) Solo Exclusive Mode mute other tracks.
Playing only Solo Exclusive applied tracks when Solo  Exclusive Mode is off state, could be very nice.
16 ) Selecting Tracks only have clips in the selection  area to hide unused tracks.
Timeline selection in the Cakewalk selects all tracks  in the project. Selecting by the right button on the  Timeline can select only tracks that have clips in the  selection area. So we can hide unselected tracks or vice  versa.

Other feature requests which are not on the image:

17 ) Ctrl + Alt dragging for copying clips as linked  clips.
18 ) Fading MIDI Clips from the clip start/end, as we  do with Audio Clips, by changing CC 7 (Volume) values.
19 ) Stereo/Mono and Phasing controls on Instrument  Tracks.
20 ) Duplicate command also works for selected  envelope parts.
21 ) Storing Synth assignment information for Drums  Maps in Track Templates.
22 ) Selecting clips with Select From, Now, Thru, End  commands in Track View
23 ) Balancing the Track Navigator's Scroll Speed by  zoom amount.
24 ) Quick grouping for Folder Open/Close action.
25 ) A proper Vertical Zoom for Tracks when some  tracks are not visible.

Cakewalk Prototype.png

Cakewalk Prototype - Annotations.png

Edited by murat k.
  • Great Idea 1

Request Number 14 Update:

While waiting The Developers to release the new big update, I wrote a script for Bringing Color Menu Over The Clip with Autohotkey. The script clicks the background color setting in Clip Properties and brings The Color Menu over the clip. It works when you use The Inspector with it's default location but you can change the click location to anywhere if you want.

If you don't know about Autohotkey. It is easy to use, just install Autohotkey, load the attached file by double clicking it and press F12 when the clip is selected in Cakewalk. You can change the shortcut key by changing the beginning of the script.

Color Menu Over The Clip.ahk

Edited by murat k.

37 minutes ago, murat k. said:

Request Number 14 Update:

While waiting The Developers to release the new big update, I wrote a script for Bringing Color Menu Over The Clip with Autohotkey. The script clicks the background color setting in Clip Properties and brings The Color Menu over the clip. It works when you use The Inspector with it's default location but you can change the click location to anywhere if you want.

If you don't know about Autohotkey. It is easy to use, just install Autohotkey, load the attached file by double clicking it and press F12 when the clip is selected in Cakewalk. You can change the shortcut key by changing the beginning of the script.

Color Menu Over The Clip.ahk 297 B · 0 downloads

I don't see how it will improve the DAW. 

Nothing wrong with the request though, there might be others that will enjoy the feature with you though. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

10 hours ago, murat k. said:

Will improve the workflow Will.

I created an exe file. Now anyone can use without installing the Autohotkey.

Color Menu Over The Clip.exe 1.19 MB · 0 downloads

For me? I don't see how. I group all my tracks and only have the group track in color. It's saved as a template like that, so I don't have to do it while working. The ability to eliminate certain tasks with "customed saved templates" is already a luxury for me. From rock, pop, hiphop, edm, future bass -- every template is custom color saved as group tracks. 808, kick, drums, percussion, guitars, strings and FX risers. So I literally, only, record and mix. 

Again others will find it to their taste. Never said it's not a bad idea.  

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Will, this works for Coloring Clips. Coloring Tracks is not a big deal in Cakewalk, it works fine.

I think I get it. People are not reading carefully. That's the problem here. Do not take it personal. I saw it so many times in this site. Someone comes with a great feature request, maybe which also exist in another software, but people disagree at the first time because they're misunderstanding. These feature requests on the list are picked carefully. Cakewalk needs it, all of them. We need it. I believe everyone of us here wants to see Cakewalk at the number one in the best DAW for this year categories. It's free but still no one I know uses it. I am kinda hesitating when I tell someone which DAW I use. Cakewalk is great but still has some things to improve you know that. I think these little things will improve the quality of your working comfort. For example number 17 is my favorite. I hope the developers will make these features as soon as possible.

5 hours ago, murat k. said:

I think I get it. People are not reading carefully. 

Glad you admit the problem you have. 

Changing the track color, automatically change the clip color too. The feature is already there.

With the theme installer you can do wonders. 

There's even an option in preferences too. 

FYI cakewalk is already way advance than most DAW. You just need to learn it. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Meh 1

2 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Glad you admit the problem you have. 

Changing the track color, automatically change the clip color too. The feature is already there.

With the theme installer you can do wonders. 

There's even an option in preferences too. 

FYI cakewalk is already way advance than most DAW. You just need to learn it. 

I would say the OP was referring to a problem you seem to have. No need to be on the defense,  or to attack him as you just did, or to assume everything is about what only you need.

It´s not like he is posting requests every other day about whatever he just thinks he and only he wants...

Most of the requests he has made seem to be thought out and with an explanation, at least for his workflow. He took the time to think of them, group them,  and make a post about them. Even more, he just came out with a solution to one of them, and more so he has shared it with everyone, in the hopes that it will improve the workflow of whoever needs it. So, if you don´t need his solution, then do not use it, leave it at that, and do not take it personal, just because you don´t seem to find a need for it or understand what he is after. Otherwise, indeed it seems as you are the one with the "can´t read, can´t understand, why is it not for me" problem.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kc23 said:

I would say the OP was referring to a problem you seem to have. No need to be on the defense,  or to attack him as you just did, or to assume everything is about what only you need.

It´s not like he is posting requests every other day about whatever he just thinks he and only he wants...

Most of the requests he has made seem to be thought out and with an explanation, at least for his workflow. He took the time to think of them, group them,  and make a post about them. Even more, he just came out with a solution to one of them, and more so he has shared it with everyone, in the hopes that it will improve the workflow of whoever needs it. So, if you don´t need his solution, then do not use it, leave it at that, and do not take it personal, just because you don´t seem to find a need for it or understand what he is after. Otherwise, indeed it seems as you are the one with the "can´t read, can´t understand, why is it not for me" problem.

What ever makes you tick - go for it. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Thank you k23 for clarifying some things. I think this community needs more people like you. If we try much more to understand each other, that will bring the harmony. I believe we can achive it because that's what we do all the time as musicans. And there is no need to be offensive Will, we are all friends here, we use the same DAW.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Thank you developers for the Cakewalk 2021.01 update. I saw two of my requests  released with this update.

19 ) Stereo/Mono and Phasing controls on Instrument  Tracks.
21 ) Storing Synth assignment information for Drum  Maps in Track Templates.

Also thank you for the other improvements, especially "Arranger section inclusion of outlying MIDI notes" and adding four new buttons to the Control Bar's Select Module.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Dude, I didn't mean anything bad by it. Just the truth. 

I apologize though, if you feel offended. 

Will, I just wanted to thank to the developers. And I am really glad for you. If I make you feel that I am offended I am sorry.