Session Drummer 2 - Saving Custom Instrument

Seth Gamba

Question

This one goes back a while. I'm using Session Drummer 2 to trigger a set of special purpose samples that I recorded. I am loading them by drag and drop from a samples track within the project I'm working on. Works great until I close the Cakewalk. When I reopen cakewalk later and I load the project all of the samples are gone from SD2, and I have to reload them all causing a moderate pain in the butt. I get this error each time, and I have to click OK for the file that it doesn't find for each sample: 

image.png.b7aac5dcbe14d39297516a4d4d00a3ec.png

Here is what I know so far:

1. I can close the project and reopen it just fine. I don't get this error unless I quite Cakewalk entirely.

2. I can find the files in the Temp directory mentioned until Cakewalk closes - it is obviously scrubbing the temp file upon close.

3. I have tried saving both a Bank and an Instrument from within SD 2. Those files do not, however, bring the audio samples with them, so when I go to load the bank or instrument I get the same set of errors again.

4. When I look through the SD2 options, I don't see a way to save something with sound files bundled or direct SD 2 to find the missing files - for instance if I moved them all out of the temp directory.

Does anyone know what I'm missing in being able to get SD2 to retain this sample library?

On another note, does anyone know of another plugin that can fulfill this function - assign specific samples to be triggered by specific MIDI notes. When I was searching for sample triggering plugins, all of the other ones just took a single sample and transposed it around depending which key was played.

Thanks for any help on this one. - Seth

1 answer to this question

If the files are in Temp, move them to a folder outside of the Windows temp area.

I use a dedicated drive for samples but they may be anywhere data is normally stored.

Then built the kit using the samples from the new location.

For simple one sample per pad kits Sitala is a good choice. I built a drum map and track template for the default kit. They are in the preset area at the top of my Google page.

Poise is another good free alternative to SD2.