Digital Painting - Rebelle 7 $10 and 7 pro for $15

Brian Walton

That is an incredible deal for folks who like to paint/draw (half the price of the pre-order almost a year ago). I didn't see an "end date" to the sale though? Rebelle 7 Pro has some really nice features and additions over prior versions. The past couple of years they seem to have focused on "get the word out" and it seems to be working well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mettelus said:

That is an incredible deal for folks who like to paint/draw (half the price of the pre-order almost a year ago). I didn't see an "end date" to the sale though? Rebelle 7 Pro has some really nice features and additions over prior versions. The past couple of years they seem to have focused on "get the word out" and it seems to be working well.

I also didn't see an end date.  Last time they ran a promo it ended up being fairly fluid and they extended it.  At this price I don't see why anyone interested would hesitate.  

• Like 1

Thank you Brian.

I almost pulled the trigger the last time a sale was mentioned here, this is a much better deal, 7 instead of 6 and Pro for $15.

It will be interesting to compare it to Painter, which I Humble Bundled. I got good results with Painter, using it to morph a photo of my mother's dog into a pastel drawing. She loves it.

Thanks to the local Salvation Army thrift store, I now have 2 Wacom tablets.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Thank you Brian.

I almost pulled the trigger the last time a sale was mentioned here, this is a much better deal, 7 instead of 6 and Pro for $15.

It will be interesting to compare it to Painter, which I Humble Bundled. I got good results with Painter, using it to morph a photo of my mother's dog into a pastel drawing. She loves it.

Thanks to the local Salvation Army thrift store, I now have 2 Wacom tablets.

I'm not a power user with either Painter or Rebelle (I'm a professional level photographer / editor) but not digital painter/artist.  Painter seems a little more features for the photo to digital art process, but some of the Rebelle paint things perhaps feel more realistic to me.  At this price, fun to mess with both.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I'm not a power user with either Painter or Rebelle (I'm a professional level photographer / editor) but not digital painter/artist.  Painter seems a little more features for the photo to digital art process, but some of the Rebelle paint things perhaps feel more realistic to me.  At this price, fun to mess with both.

+1, Painter has a lot of features (like pic-to-painting, clone tinting, morphs, etc.) that do not exist in Rebelle (yet). Rebelle got its start with adding realism to water coloring (not a massive need for that medium), then expanded that approach to more mediums. Color diffusion into paper (including "water" loading in a brush), tilt of canvas, and the like Rebelle excels at. Masking is simpler, and the addition of structures (where you can embed a picture/drawing into the paper to give it texture) I absolutely love. A good metaphor would be a coffee filter, where the stain will darken and move to the edge... with structures you can make the paper texture into edges to stop diffusion, and a mask the edge the complete object as well. Once that is set up, you can easily use a large brush with proper tilt, loading, diffusion settings to have an object almost auto-paint for the background work (the tilt will make the object "auto shade" as the diffusion works). The texture of the paper and response of the medium is also better in Rebelle (e.g., like charcoal on a rough canvas is not going to get into the tiny pits of the canvas). To Brian's point, Rebelle is more focused on realism, and while it does have a lot of the same features of Painter, its use with pictures is a little more limited.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also love the beautiful metallic paints in 7. They can add nice touches to things. If you post somewhere on your social media about this deal and then post your post on the escapemotions.com general forum you will get 3 free papers too - 

About Canvas set 3 paper set (includes 3 full-color papers) worth 15$

These linen canvases offer a natural connection between the paintbrush, the paint, and the surface. When viewed up close, you'll notice a delicate interplay of color shades that reach deep into the fibers. These canvases respond beautifully to oil paints, acrylics, and watercolors, making them a perfect source of inspiration for artists who enjoy exploring mixed techniques.

Contains: 3x Linen canvas | Compatible with Rebelle version 5.0 and later

The users on the forum post a lot of free stuff like brushes stencils and color sets too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I didn't know there were so many visual artists on the forum. I will be asking for advice.

I've only briefly tried the freehand painting/drawing functions in Painter. I made a couple of abstract things that I liked. Painter locked up and crashed at one point just as I was digging something I had done. It feels kind of "fragile," so saving is important. I'm hoping that Rebelle is more sturdy.

I need to get used to the feel of the pen and what it can do, how to quickly correct when I make mistakes, etc.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I've only briefly tried the freehand painting/drawing functions in Painter. I made a couple of abstract things that I liked. Painter locked up and crashed at one point just as I was digging something I had done. It feels kind of "fragile," so saving is important. I'm hoping that Rebelle is more sturdy.

Check the number of Undo's you have set. The defaults for many audio/video apps if often rather excessive, and each undo is eating up RAM space (I tend to use 10 on most everything... but in painting apps each stroke is "1" so 10 might be a little light). I got a large brush set for Painter at one point, and the initial launch times took a massive hit from that. Painter has a load of "hard to hit" options in the control palette and the GUI gets finicky from time to time. Upgrades to Painter also tend to be a PITA, and I have found the simplest way to carry things forward between versions is to use the "Restore Purchases" in the menu options (depending on what you have purchased, this alone can take some time).

Rebelle actually does some updates on launch and loads much faster. There have been a dozen or so updates to Rebelle 7 and the developers listen/interact with users a lot more. The software has a 30-day return policy, so you can run it through the ringer. Having the Visual Settings panel open while working is ideal... and things like modifying paint (especially metallics) after painting is a nice touch... this is by layer, so be sure to take advantage of layer use/management (layers can also be toggled to masks while working). Even though the GUI is simpler, there are a lot of functions in the panels, with most "right there," like shifting from Paint->Paint and Mix->Paint and Blend->Blend->Erase.

6 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I need to get used to the feel of the pen and what it can do, how to quickly correct when I make mistakes, etc.

Not sure which tablets you got, but programming buttons is a massive time saver (Ctrl-Z is always one of them). I find that using a mouse while working is very distracting so I got an XP-Pen model years ago specifically for the scroll wheel (center is a touch pad). That model (on sale for one more day) is the only one with that wheel now (but is also BT capable which mine is not) and the control utility allows setting functions by app so you can mirror your workflow/controls between Painter and Rebelle (and whatever else) to save confusion. Setting those up takes a little bit of time, but is worth the effort down the road (much akin to a MIDI controller). Delve a little into the controller app for your tablets and see what customization you can make to them.

6 hours ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

Yay! The PRO version does fractal image resizing 😎

The "NanoPixel" functionality is rather impressive... on low resolution images you can zoom in on a pixel, but it is not square... it is a dot, and it is also blended into the areas around it. If you ever zoom in that far, you immediately get a feel for the performance differences between the apps. Even silly things like right click-drag being the default pan in Rebelle is "just nice" (that doesn't fly in Painter). Rebelle has significantly less time to get up to "actually working" IMO.

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Flame Painter 4 (on sale for $9.99) is worth an honorable mention as well. It has 6 particle systems total, but 3 of them come with that basic version. It is similar to Corel's Particle Shop for adding FX to images (best to do with layers).

Side note on Flame Painter 4... that was released 5 years ago, so it probably won't have any upgrades to a new version any time soon. Rebelle is the only application getting active development. If you got the Humble Bundle in the past, you probably also got Flame Painter 4.

• Like 1