Will V_Vocal still crash with a fast computer and lots of RAM?

gmp

I'm getting a new computer from Jim Roseberry. I've been using V-Vocal for many years successfully as long as I disconnect all soft synths and close and reopen the file. With this new computer and WIN 11 Pro, has anyone been successful with it not crashing? I can get extra RAM if it will work

Can't speak to Win11 but v1.5.2.5 (2011) works crash free here on Win10 with 16 or 32GB ram. 

Just noticed a long standing issue I've had with the GUI being cut off on the right side thru out the X series and early CbB is now gone.  😎

What is v1.5.2.5 (2011)? I'm using CbB 2024.07. As long as I have no soft synths loaded it won't crash. Are you using soft synths. Ivory is pretty RAM intensive

2 hours ago, gmp said:

What is v1.5.2.5 (2011)?

The latest version of V-Vocal I have.

2 hours ago, gmp said:

Are you using soft synths. Ivory is pretty RAM intensive

I tried it on a 3:14 min frozen Dimension Pro track loaded with a GPO flute w/o incident.

I also tried it on a 3:14 min frozen Kontakt 5.8 track with the C.Bechstein grand piano, which is probably under 7 GB. 

However, once the tracks are frozen, the resulting waves are only around 55 MB each.

V-Vocal was a Roland product when Roland owned cakewalk, so it hasn't been updated for a very long time. Did you find a way to update it or is this the last version we got from a Sonar version many years ago?

A frozen synth is much like a disconnected synth, no more RAM involved, so V-Vocal won't crash in a project with a frozen synth or disconnected synth. Does V-Vocal crash with unfrozen or connected soft synths for you?

V-Vocal stability is now hit and miss. The general rule is to use it early and before you start to add many more VSTs. At some point, it will start to crash. Too bad, I liked it but finally accepted my future and got Melodyne.

Based on my EXTENSIVE research there is no hardware upgrade, software change or usage that will make it stable. Yes, a few people get away with it. V-Vocal’s issues go back many years.

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Like 2

Seems so.  It just crashed CbB while testing it.  Best to work with pre-bounced clips and save and reopen CbB/Sonar after each edit.

Another issue is when vvocal is in multidock, I can hit "D" to toggle from Track View to vvocal but not the other way around.  Once vvocal is in view, it sticks.  Using the File Menu to get back also fails on occasion.

I doubt more RAM would change anything.  It is what it is... discontinued, defunct, obsolete, etc.

Edited by sjoens

as Terry noted it's a hit or miss with V-Vocal. i had it working "ok" on Windows 10 and CbB a few years ago (as trying to recover some old projects),

but just gave in and solely using Melodyne now. and decided on the cry-now approach for spending money and got the Studio version - multiple tracks, fully polyphonic etc. it's very handy to load both a rhythm track and the target vocal when trying to enforce the right key signature etc to adjust the vocals against.

• Like 2

I caught Melodyne during a sale and did the purchase and three upgrades to Studio in one day.  I effectively got it for less than half. You just have to watch for sales. I was surprised Celemony let me do it but they did. 

• Like 1

I don't think the v-vocal crashes were ever due to the amount of ram or execution speed, so it's doubtful that ether one of those items will help. Viva la v-vocal though regardless. 

The only thing I can add after many years of using V-Vocal, is to only apply it to small chunks/clips at a time. It never worked for me if I tried it on a whole track or a large part of a track. I still have it installed but tend to use Melodyne more often due to its predictable stability.

20 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

never gelled with Melodyne

I have been trying off and on for years to make "rollin' the golden turds" work for me and it just isn't happening. I've successfully used it exactly once, to correct the pitch of a single flubbed bass guitar note by half a step. For the amount of time and trouble it cost, I could have copied and pasted the note from elsewhere in the song or just punched it in myself much more easily.

If it ever comes to pass that I need a pitch corrector, I'll look into RePitch.

Waves Tune is functionally the closest I've found to V-Vocal (pencil tool, modulation tools, play with a MIDI keyboard, etc.). It doesn't support ARA. Instead, it uses ReWire to know where it is on the timeline. 

However, you don't need to use ReWire. You can play audio into it, make your edits, and then render. That's less convenient than synching automatically to the timeline, but it does the job. There's a free trial, so you can check it out to see if it floats your V-Vocal boat :).  A perpetual license is around $30. It's also included in their Ultimate subscription plan.

Antares Auto-Tune Pro has a graph mode with the same kind of tools, as well as more developed functions. It also requires playing into the program, editing, and rendering. It's a very sophisticated plugin with a live mode (I've used it for real-time hard pitch correction on guitar - fun stuff!). There's a free trial available, but it's not cheap - a perpetual license is currently on sale for about $300. It's also available by subscription.

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2024 at 1:16 PM, Starship Krupa said:

I have been trying off and on for years to make "rollin' the golden turds" work for me and it just isn't happening. I've successfully used it exactly once, to correct the pitch of a single flubbed bass guitar note by half a step. For the amount of time and trouble it cost, I could have copied and pasted the note from elsewhere in the song or just punched it in myself much more easily.

If it ever comes to pass that I need a pitch corrector, I'll look into RePitch.

I hate telling a seasoned user like yourself this, but until you read the manual you will struggle. I neglected to do this and struggled for weeks until I downloaded the manual and it's pretty easy once you understand the workflow.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

I hate telling a seasoned user like yourself this, but until you read the manual you will struggle. I neglected to do this and struggled for weeks until I downloaded the manual and it's pretty easy once you understand the workflow.

I ain't all that seasoned with Melodyne, although I am fond of text manuals over any other type of tutorial or instruction.

The issue I had with Melodyne in the past was that the manual was written for a higher version of the software than I was working with. They may have remedied this, I'm not sure. In any case, I've seldom been able to get it to do what I want. Maybe I'm asking too much of it, or asking the wrong thing of it, or maybe it's just that Melodyne and I are just not cut out for each other.

It's fine, as a fan of MeldaProduction's products, I know that "not everything is for everybody." 😄

• Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 1:16 PM, Starship Krupa said:

have been trying off and on for years to make "rollin' the golden turds" work for me and it just isn't happening

Ditto.  I've tried but the UI is...tricky.  I hate to generalise but I find German interfaces (software, cars) somewhat illogical and impenetrable.  V-Vocal was trivial to use in a basic fashion with no manual.

• Like 1