I think I'm cured...

Nick Blanc

...from GAS. Well, the software one. I've spent nothing this month so far and last month only €78 for TDR Nova GE (to complete the collection) and Soundtheory Kraftur (which I've used only twice, so there's a lesson in there somewhere).

I'll still hang out with you cool kids of course. So just to rub it in, here's a sweet deal for some Native Instruments partner AVA Music Group. 75% off their Composer Essentials Bundle. Only $99 people!

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/komplete/ava-music-group-sale-2024/

• Like 9

Same.

I've spent some but my mind has definitely been less active on reading deals and most of all, less active on acting up on them.

I guess a lot of the deals as of late haven't really triggered the 'dontthinkaboutit' part of the brain and thus not as much impulse buys anymore.

I hope, I really hope, that I've also come to the realization that unless it's a really good deal, I don't need another EQ or whatever.

I think I've also been soured by some of the holiday deals where I could have gotten a better deal had I waited a month or two.

There also hasn't been that many price glitches as of late or they've been patched out before being able to act.

• Like 3

yeah. me too. i havent bought much new at all. i have too much. i did get a few arturia preset packs fro 50% off just to make more use of my investment. but not much else. only freebies i can find. the UA delay was good.

i also think the sales prices of plugins aren't as good as there were in past. i am sure i saw deals for $12 and lower for stuff that they are asking $29 and $39 when on sale these days.

• Like 2

Honestly, I can't remember the last thing I even bought - probably something NI, but it was a few years ago now. I've had a hankering for a hardware synth for a while, but the ones I like are too expensive to justify the outlay seeing as I don't actually need one.

Is it bad that some days I think that if the doc gave me 6 months to live the first thing I would do is thank him very much and then buy a Waldorf Quantum Mk2?

• Like 1

If you've been around long enough you will have picked up a few bundles at killer deals.

You probably will have more compressors, eqs, and delays than you know what to do with.

The same holds for distortion effects and modulation effects.

Unless you are a discriminating keyboard player, you will have more than enough pianos for your needs.

If you have both Komplete and the Arturia suite, there aren't a lot of synth sounds you can't get.

You've probably picked up your fair share of samples.

For me, there's not a lot that is going to trigger GAS.  If IK were to release new components, I would probably pick it up.  If ToonTrack puts an EZKeys library on sale, I will likely pick it up.

• Like 2

More and more I get cured by price increase and "technical evolution". Installation, authorization and updates get worse and worse, take more time than making music (it's especially true if you sync some systems)! What a world! Luckily there are some exceptions, but the list of plugin providers that are on my black list has increased dramatically in the last 2 years! 

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

19 minutes ago, CSistine said:

More and more I get cured by price increase and "technical evolution". Installation, authorization and updates get worse and worse, take more time than making music (it's especially true if you sync some systems)! What a world! Luckily there are some exceptions, but the list of plugin providers that are on my black list has increased dramatically in the last 2 years! 

Too true. I really don't want another installer on my computer to increase the bloat. Especially if they don't allow you to select where to install them and especially if they install **** on random folders in the systems drive anyway.

Just let me download the plugin, install it where I want, keep it contained and control the activation from the web (or better yet, just make it a simple serial without draconian online checks and hardware prints or having to email the developer to deactivate or reset the activations.)

Not that I'm constantly activating/deactivating plugins anyway but if I were to do a system reset and start clean, the process of uninstalling/deactivating/etc is gonna be a major pain and a timesinker.

Edited by Kirean
  • Like 3

I'm cured too! 🙌

Somehow it happened when I tried AI music. I realised that the reason I couldn't create music like that myself wasn't the lack of software or samples but the lack of productivity, skills and knowledge.

I've spent like 10€ in the last three months. Prior to that I'd easily spend 100€ and more per month.

I still take some freebies though.

Edited by audioschmaudio
  • Like 1

Things to do when GAS is in check.

I bought Cherry Audio Polymode in one of those "don't have to think about it" $5 deals here a while back and never spent time on it until I came across this tutorial:

POLYMODE Synthesizer from Cherry Audio - Full Programming Tutorial & Sound Demo (youtube.com)

Very understandable tutorial, walkthrough with presets demo

Edited by Doug Steinschneider
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

I can quit any time I want to!

I used to think that but found it easier to  turn my dog into a sponsored social media influencer, sold the caddy, divorced the wife, and sent kids to public school  🤣 hahha

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

I think some of the "cure" is not having cclarry posting every deal on the planet.

BUT... But... I DO miss cclarry! I'd much rather read his posts than be cured from GAS

On a related note: Satya, the King is the King and he has been setting a very high standard for years, but don't get discouraged, you're doing well

• Like 5

Ok this turned out to be a fun topic. I think the market is pretty saturated and people who are around for more than a couple of years (especially those under the care of cclarry), have pretty much all they want and need. 

I've been thinking and I guess what did it for me was 1) the realisation that they all do pretty much the same, the only general difference is workflow. And 2) the realisation that the YouTube reviewers are just salesmen who will sell you anything. Fueled by those companies. And 3) actually doing mixes and tracks multiple times a week showed me that what I have is waaaay too much.

Don't get me wrong, if someone makes an interesting delay or distortion plugin which can do wild sounddesign things I might still bite. But for now I'm good...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Nick Blanc said:

Ok this turned out to be a fun topic. I think the market is pretty saturated and people who are around for more than a couple of years (especially those under the care of cclarry), have pretty much all they want and need. 

I've been thinking and I guess what did it for me was 1) the realisation that they all do pretty much the same, the only general difference is workflow. And 2) the realisation that the YouTube reviewers are just salesmen who will sell you anything. Fueled by those companies. And 3) actually doing mixes and tracks multiple times a week showed me that what I have is waaaay too much.

Don't get me wrong, if someone makes an interesting delay or distortion plugin which can do wild sounddesign things I might still bite. But for now I'm good...

Same here.  I just went for Fabfilter,  Voxengo, Tokyo Dawn, Melodyne and Valhalla two years ago, and that covers 98%. I have a lot more,  however,  including complete Melda.  So the salesmen succeded. 

• Haha 1