Lee Shore (CSN) *Gary Brun* master

mark skinner

Hey Mark . . . I had never heard this song before, and your cover is certainly mesmerizing, laid back and somewhat haunting in your arrangement. Of course, I went online and had to have a listen to the original by CSN. It struck me that the rhythm guitar, which starts out in your version panned left, could be mixed closer to center, and more prominent in the mix. The original version had a very defined rhythmic pulse driven by that part, and you've mixed your fills and improv very upfront panned right, making the end result very loose and jazz based. 

Either way, always enjoy what you do, and respect your interpretations . . . you always know what you're doing, but I also know you like to hear this type of comment, as another point of view. The vocals are excellent . . . attempting a David Crosby vocal, much respect for that ! (The first few vocal phrases could use some crispening, for clarity I think, in the opening vocal lines)

• Thanks 1

@jack c. , Thanks Jack.  In my younger years I actually could fake a Crosby song ..

@noynekker , Thank You for the suggestions. 👌Exactically what I was wanting , especially early in the mixing process. The mix now reflects changes you suggested. Fairly small impact , but it sounds much more balanced to me.

@equality , I appreciate the comment. Hopefully the changes will elevate it a little  ..

mark

• Like 1

Thanks @KSband , @freddy j , @DeeringAmps .   Thanks guys for the Great comments.  I've been tweeking things and the link now reflects my last changes. Guitars were narrowed  in towards center. I widened the mix so much they were spread out a little too much. @noynekker helped with that decision.  I carried it a little further in this mix. Reverbs were boosted a good bit. I think what helped most was moving most of my bass track a 1/4 bar downstream. It played better on the offbeat.  I'm going to give it a rest , but there will be a new master coming before long.   Thanks ..

mark

• Like 2

• mark skinner changed the title to Lee Shore (CSN) *Gary Brun* master

Thanks Guys for the listens and comments. I'm calling this one "done" and surrendering.

Special thanks to @garybrun for offering to remaster it. I sent him seperate files of the instrument full mix and a seperate soloed mix of the vocals. I never really know how loud to process my own vocal tracks. It was nice to have a competant person make that decision for me. As usual I think he did another Great job on a mix/master.   Thanks ..

mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@bjornpdx , @Old Joad , @Alper Karamahmutoglu , @Wookiee. Thanks guys for the listen and Great comments. I'm calling this one done and surrendered as I have no plans on officially releasing covers . This was done for my own pleasure and a learning experience.  @steve@baselines.com , I appreciate your comment and will for sure keep it in mind the next time I use my Tak LTd in a song. I did keep grabbing the highs and cutting the lows in that track. I too wasn't very satisfied with it , and I had a hard time getting it to sit well in the mix. I had a "high strung" acoustic guitar on the right side . I was hoping the middle electric guitar even thing up a little.   Anyway ..  Thank You All..

mark

• Like 1