It's hot.

56 minutes ago, Grem said:

Never heard of this. 

My dad had cars he had to do that in. Iirc it circulates the coolant through a longer path through your heat system inside and gives it more room and time to cool, but I could be totally wrong with that. I just know it worked on older cars my dad had.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Grem said:

Never heard of this. 

+1 to what Shane said above. The heater is another "radiator" in the dash of your car, so when the radiator isn't effective, it gives you another means to pull heat out of the coolant (the heater loop is also always "online" if you have a situation where a thermostat valve fails and the radiator never comes online). This works, and I have resorted to it, but what totally sucks about it is that you will only need it when it is hot outside, so it makes the passenger compartment a miserable place to be, even with it blowing on the windshield with all of the windows open.

• Like 3

I had a '73 Dodge Tradesman van in which I ran the heater all summer to keep the engine from overheating. It was especially bad going up mountain passes loaded with gear. Once I made the mistake of stopping at the summit of Snoqualmie Pass to top off the coolant, removed the cap and was rewarded with an Old Faithful of boiling water to the face. That night I kept red stage lights on me to disguise the burns.

Ironically, that van's heater was largely ineffective in winter due to a broken flap on a fresh-air vent. That vent was located next to my foot, so on long winter drives I wore double wool socks. One memorable trip was a 16-hour drive through British Columbia in a driving snowstorm. My left shoe was covered in snow and my left foot had no sensation in it. Because that gig began on a Sunday rather than a more typical Monday start, we had to go directly to the venue and play.

Such was the life of a touring musician in the 70's, when even an oil change was a major expense. And that was before the price of gas shot up to a dollar per gallon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

...Once I made the mistake of stopping at the summit of Snoqualmie Pass to top off the coolant, removed the cap and was rewarded with an Old Faithful of boiling water to the face. That night I kept red stage lights on me to disguise the burns...

*Yeouch!!!*  Good thing it sounds like you didn't get any in your eyes!

Oh, I did get it in my eyes. And was still an hour's drive away from the gig with no one along to take the wheel. There was a minimart nearby where I bought a spray can of sunburn treatment and bathed in it before continuing on down the mountainside.

Oddly, I remain nostalgic for those days and don't remember them as the horrific mishaps they were.

• Haha 1

Here in California we do 110 before breakfast. Where I live we hit 116 in the day and 60 at night. For me anything over 105 is too high to be in for very long. I can but it’s no fun. But 100+ is just a normal summer day. 

4 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

105 is too high to be in for very long

That's what I set my hot tub to when I really want to cook. Humans weren't actually meant to live in such heat. 

I see that Las Vegas broke their all-time record yesterday, 120°.  If it gets hotter than that, they'll close the airport because airplanes with normal loads can't get enough lift at such temperatures. Reducing load capacity reduces  profits below the threshold of profitability, so they just say "screw it" and go home.

Last summer I actually got heatstroke at an afternoon gig. It was only in the 90's. But I thought I was gonna die. I shaved my head the following week.

I have an upcoming outdoor gig next week. My band's singer gifted me a fan/mister unit that goes around the neck. It worked quite well during my initial test, during rehearsal inside my garage. We always practice with the doors and windows shut so as not to annoy my neighbors, so I'd guess the temperature was close to 100° in the garage, given that it was 93° outside. Don't know yet how long the battery lasts, but it's charged via USB so I could theoretically plug it into the back of my synthesizer.

• Like 1

As a successful escapee of California (paroled almost 21 years ago! ?), I find it amazing how fee people realize that much of California is a dessert!  Some of the driest cities in the U.S. are in California...  Just think of what it would be if they hadn't stolen the water from the Colorado River?  I've been to Mexico where you can see the Sea Of Cortes and how it obviously used to be much bigger in the past...

People like to say I moved up here to enjoy four seasons (and it's true), but California has four seasons too!  Summer, Earthquake, Fire and Flood! ?

This is why, despite being a longtime proponent of base-10 measurement conventions, I still prefer Fahrenheit over Celsius when it comes to temperature. 0 to 100 in Fahrenheit covers the majority of daily human experience. 0 to 100 in Celsius covers a  span from a typical winter day in northern latitudes to boiling water.

• Like 2