Black Bird - Major Remix-

mark skinner

Hello , I thought I'd try a little different version of this song. I'm in a lower key and using more jazz oriented chords. Still a work in progress .  Any suggestions for improvement will be helpful .  

Yairi and Aria (high strung) acoustics. TTS Brush kit , Ibanez bass and Cello.   Thanks for the listen ..   mark

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14804632

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 8

Mark . . . as you know, listening to this makes my ugly long traffic commute easier to deal with, and really love what you've done covering this in your own unique way. Totally chilled out version, your vocals/harmonies are spot on, and I'm always in awe of how you record those guitars. When the cello arrives, the painting completes itself. It does unfold very slowly in the intro, you could probably add some rhythmic ride cymbal swishes there . . . other than that, I just sit back and enjoy . . .

• Like 1

@Makke Thank You for the listen and compliment. Means a lot ..

@KSband I appreciate that. The L/R guitars are always my favorite parts to record.

@noynekker Glad I can ease the stress of your long commutes to work and back. Did some work on the intro this morning with cymbols from a different kit. Seems to move it along a little better.   As far as the vocals , I'm not really happy with them. I think I rushed the main vox track . I sang it like I would if I were playing the original guitar version. It's just not smooth enough and sounding the way I had planned for this version. I'm going to redo a few parts until I'm satisfied. Probably take me a few days.   Thanks for the reply and suggestion. 👍

@Bajan Blue Thanks for the listen and weighing in. Always nice to get a compliment from someone who is on top of their game.   

Thanks for everyones comments and help.   A little more constructive criticism is always welcomed ..  Remix in a few days .                  Thanks ..   mark

@subvibe Thanks TC for the compliment . I didn't get that smooth chilled SubVibe feel but I think I got closer than how I used to perform the original .

@jack c. , Thanks Jack , I know you are a master of cool jazz chords.

The link now reflects a mild remix. I made quite a few small changes and dropped about 20 seconds out of the intro. I'm going to live with this mix and get away from it for a while .        Thank You ..   mark

• Thanks 1

• mark skinner changed the title to Black Bird (ish) -remix-
  • mark skinner changed the title to Black Bird - Major Remix-

Hello , I've gotten a remix done now that I can live with.  I kept feeling like something was missing and the song was dull and without any energy. I added an electric guitar playing off more of a blues/jazz feel. Mostly just fills , but that led to additional editing. I'm calling it finished and won't bump it back up if I make any other minor tweeks.

@Lynn Wilson maybe Sir Paul would like this one better ..  Thanks for the listens and all the great comments.  

mark

• Like 1

On 6/24/2024 at 12:29 PM, mark skinner said:

using more jazz oriented chords

Nice job Mark. Im a huge Frampton fan. It reminds me of some of his early solo stuff. With a few Jazz chords to give it class and a smooth, fat solo guitar sound. Well done 😉

• Thanks 1