EchoThief Convolution Reverb FREE - 400 Licenses [DEAL OVER - alternative recommendation]

PavlovsCat

DEAL OVER - ALL LICENSES HAVE BEEN TAKEN -- SEE MY RECOMMENDED ALTERNATIVE BELOW

Stagecraft Software is offering EchoThief convolution reverb plugin for Mac & Win as a free download (reg. $50) until June 30. Only 400 free keys (licenses) are available.

https://my.stagecraftsoftware.com/promo/echothief

[EDIT]

RECOMMENDED ALTERNATIVE

NOTE: If you're disappointed, don't be. Since creating this thread, I've installed and used the Echo Thief Convolution Reverb and to be candid,  I absolutely don't think it's even close to as good as free convolution reverb plugins like Convology XT or Melda's MConvolutionEZ. You can freely download the Echo Thief impulse (linked below) and use those and other third-party impulse responses in both of those far superior convolution reverbs. So you're really not missing out. I'm almost certainly going to delete the EchoThief plugin and only use the IRs.  

FREE Convology XT Convolution Reverb
https://impulserecord.com/convology-xt/

FREE Echo Thief impulse responses
http://www.echothief.com/downloads/

Edited by PavlovsCat
I tried this plugin, wasn't impressed & wanted to recommend a free alternative that plays the same IRs that I find superior.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

• PavlovsCat changed the title to EchoThief Convolution Reverb FREE - Limited to 400 Licenses
1 minute ago, cclarry said:

Their site is stupid.  It wouldn't allow me to type in my full email address
and kept telling me it was invalid.

Yes, you are right, but this is the trick (solution) with this problem

The code is this one:
<input style="background-color:lightgrey; width:300px;" type="text" id="email" name="email" maxlength="24">

Enable the developer tools of your web browser, change the value 24 for 100 or delete maxlength="24" and voilá

I hope that helps

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Niky Serrano said:

The code is this one:
<input style="background-color:lightgrey; width:300px;" type="text" id="email" name="email" maxlength="24">

Enable the developer tools of your web browser, change the value 24 for 100 or delete maxlength="24" and voilá

I hope that helps

Other option appears to be using a shorter email address.  

Agree this is crazy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Niky Serrano said:

The code is this one:

I hope that helps

It worked for me without issues. But if the website is poorly coded, that doesn't exactly inspire confidence that the developer's plugins will be well coded. I'm just saying...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PavlovsCat said:

It worked for me without issues. But if the website is poorly coded, that doesn't exactly inspire confidence that the developer's plugins will be well coded. I'm just saying...

You are right, because put a short maxlength for an email... is totally crazy

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Other option appears to be using a shorter email address.  

Agree this is crazy.

Other option is to use other plugins. 

Really,  we are living in a world of virtual trash. 

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, ralfrobert said:

Other option is to use other plugins. 

Really,  we are living in a world of virtual trash. 

Yep, I have MConvolutionMB - which seems pretty good at the convolution thing.  

But this was an interesting situation that I've never seen before with an email field not only that short but had problems viewing and copy and pasting into it with two different browsers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pat Osterday said:

Seems the IRs are free - http://www.echothief.com/downloads/

Anybody actually using any Stagecraft plugins?  I got Glitch Machine free a long time ago, but never installed it.  Seems I have $50 credit too.  But never got a warm fuzzy feeling from this developer.

Same here. Got six or seven of ‘em now. 

Posted (edited)

@Luc and anyone else who was interested in this offer, now that the free licenses have been exhausted and I've had a chance to try this reverb,  I don't think it's anywhere close to being as good as the free Convology XT convolution reverb plugin. You can download the Echo Thief impulse responses into Convology XT and have A LOT more control over them than you'd have in this Stage Craft plugin (FTR, I think the free convolution reverb from Melda is pretty nice and I love some of the included IRs -- but it's missing too many controls and you can find those controls on Convology XT). 

Consequently, anyone who wasn't able to get a license for the Echo Thief convolution reverb -- and even those who did -- check out Convology XT below, download the free Echo Thief impulses (there are plenty of other good quality IRs on the web too; as long as they're not in a proprietary format, you can load them too). 

FREE Convology XT Convolution Reverb
https://impulserecord.com/convology-xt/

FREE Echo Thief impulse responses 
http://www.echothief.com/downloads/

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• PavlovsCat changed the title to EchoThief Convolution Reverb FREE - Limited to 400 Licenses [DEAL OVER - ALL LICENSES HAVE BEEN TAKEN]
  • PavlovsCat changed the title to EchoThief Convolution Reverb FREE - 400 Licenses [DEAL OVER - alternative recommendation]
2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

@Luc and anyone else who was interested in this offer, now that the free licenses have been exhausted and I've had a chance to try this reverb,  I don't think it's anywhere close to being as good as the free Convology XT convolution reverb plugin. You can download the Echo Thief impulse responses into Convology XT and have A LOT more control over them than you'd have in this Stage Craft plugin (FTR, I think the free convolution reverb from Melda is pretty nice and I love some of the included IRs -- but it's missing too many controls and you can find those controls on Convology XT). 

Awesome! Convology XT is the one I use and I really like it (thought I'd love to be able to drag and drop Impulse Responses into it). I didn't know about the free EchoThief Impulse Responses you mentioned. I'll do what you suggested. Thanks so much!!!

Edited by Luc
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Luc said:

Awesome! Convology XT is the one I use and I really like it (thought I'd love to be able to drag and drop Impulse Responses into it). I didn't know about the free EchoThief Impulse Responses you mentioned. I'll do what you suggested. Thanks so much!!!

I'm glad you found it useful. Here are some other free IRs worth downloading

Bricasti IRs
https://web.archive.org/web/20190201211631/http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-impulse-responses/

Lexicon 480L:
https://www.housecallfm.com/download-gns-personal-lexicon-480l

Signal to Noise - Not free, but inexpensive IRs: 
https://signaltonoize.com/?page_id=4188

• Like 2

How does ConvologyXT compare with MConvolutionEZ?

I've seen multiple people recommend MConvolutionEZ as being a resource-friendly free impulse loader. The reverbs I end up liking the most are algo ones like Exponential Phoenix/Nimbus/Stratus and MTurboReverb, but I like to know what I can safely recommend.

I seem to remember getting a whole load of stuff free here and thinking it all was crap and then having a real hassle getting unsubscribed from his emails.

Actually, this site and dev was one of the first thing that made me realise downloading every plugin offered for free was a bad idea.

Edited by MrFigg
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

How does ConvologyXT compare with MConvolutionEZ?

I've seen multiple people recommend MConvolutionEZ as being a resource-friendly free impulse loader. The reverbs I end up liking the most are algo ones like Exponential Phoenix/Nimbus/Stratus and MTurboReverb, but I like to know what I can safely recommend.

Well, Erik / @Starship Krupa, you're the person responsible for my trying out Melda plugins -- and you've always been super helpful -- and I'm grateful to you for all of the above. I'm actually contemplating buying Melda's paid convolution reverb, which is currently on sale, due to my using MConvolutionEZ (the reverb used on the drums on the audio demo on their site sound great to my ears and it's only $24 USD). But when it comes to comparing ConvologyXT to MConvolutionEZ, ConvologyXT is the clear winner, IMO. 

MConvolutionEZ is a lightweight plugin that runs flawlessly on my Windows 10 PC. The included IR library sounds excellent. However, the plugin is a very cut-down version of Melda's for-pay convolution reverb. It's really just a teaser to promote their paid product and Melda removed so many of the controls from their paid product that a serious user is going to find this freebie insufficient as a convolution reverb. But it's a great for what it is -- an ad for Melda's paid convolution reverb, as it sounds great and the plugin runs great. I've seen a number of "best free convolution reverbs" lists recommend MConvolutionEZ for beginners trying their first convolution reverb -- basically, as a free starter convolution reverb, and that makes sense to me; but for others, it's like a taster for the paid plugin. Its only audio controls are dry/wet, widening, and high and low pass filters. If you want the kind of controls you'd expect from a paid convolution reverb, you either need to buy Melda's paid convolution reverb (which I'm actually contemplating right now, as it's on sale) OR you could turn to Convology XT, which has significantly more editing capabilities.  I've included screenshots of both plugins so you and others can see the controls for yourselves. 

Convology XT rivals the controls that one would expect to find on a paid convolution reverb. In fact, I own a paid convolution reverb, Wave's IR-1 and I prefer, and more regularly use, Convology XT due its more extensive controls (check out the screenshot of Convology XT below; the GUI is also superior to the IR-1, which looks like it was designed in the 90s by a programmer without the benefit of a designer). Impulse Record, the developer behind Convology XT (Wave Arts is responsible for the IRs) doesn't use the plugin as a promotional device to upsell users to a paid, full product like Melda does.  Convology XT is their sole convolution reverb offering and I think they could easily charge for it, but their strategy is to market paid IR libraries to the users of their free plugin. Best of all, you can download their convolution reverb for free and use it to play the included 74 IRs  and any other 3rd party IRs (it reads WAV/AIF files); that's a pretty sweet deal, IMO. Consequently, I think picking up Convology XT is a total no brainer, for the plugin, and the factory library. Even so, I'd still recommend downloading MConvolutionEZ because the factory IR library is so good. However, when it comes to using third-party IRs, I find Convology XT the better choice and either of them is vastly superior to the Stagecraft EchoThief Convolution Reverb.  

ConvologyXT.png

MConvolutionEZ.png

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1