Good News for Cakewalk Users

Posted (edited)

I’ll add this note here because I didn’t go into it in the video. 
I got a question in the comments about this. People are still stumbling over the whole activation process and there are people who are just discovering that things changed last fall. 

So this is where we are at 

You are required to run the latest version of CbB that you can download from the Cakewalk by Bandlab web page. 
All older versions will not activate. 

You will be asked to sign in to your Bandlab account to activate. It’s simple but sometimes people get messed up.

Do not use the old Bandlab Assistant.

There’s a toast messages you can click or go to the Help menu. 

The other thing you need to know is the TTS-1 is no longer supported and has been removed from all new releases of both Cakewalk and Sonar. 
It will stay installed on your current system but if you do a fresh install on a new computer you will need to follow my instructions in this video 

https://youtu.be/kF3tEttGdIQ?si=QHazMYKM6cIEe1o8

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

That's not going to stop anybody....

Well, it stops me-So?  I don't think ANYONE has been MORE vocal than I have been..............too much!

Will it be forever? who knows-But I won't be forever either.....Come on man-Give folks a little credit!

Edited by Pathfinder
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I have tried real hard to support the release of SonarI really hope that by this time next year I will own it. 
But while I can afford to purchase it, I can’t afford to rent it. 

Who knows why they choose to hold back that one unanswered question that was on the very first page of the June 6 2023 announcement. It was asked by @wetdentist

“just out of curiosity, will the CbB software continue working after the the Sonar/Next release?” 

If you go and keep reading the answers were only from users and all speculation.

The next reply from a staff member ignored this important question.

I scanned the whole 38 page thread and never saw an official answer. Only that it will give people time to transition to Sonar. 
And even the answer we finally have now is still open ended. But it is at least a lot more optimistic.  

I already got a PM from one of my subscribers saying they were just about to purchase another Daw and after they watched my video stopped dead in their tracks. They thanked me for saving them money. 

They did a lot of damage by not answering this question a year ago. I don't have as many subscribers as Mike by a long stretch but my small crew was very upset and confused. Mike immediately put out a video in support of Studio One and you can only imagine how many people jumped ship due to that one video. The talk all became speculation and about trying other Daw's. All 100% avoidable with just a few words about the future plan for CbB. All we got was a non answer.  

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2

The developers aren't responsible for telling us anything and I wouldn't ask them to say anything unless they specifically tell me BANDLAB told them to tell us something or eat hot lead.

Then I can understand them not speaking up. But would you (generically) want to be in the middle of this mess? Not me Jack.

Edited by Terry Kelley

On 6/16/2024 at 10:56 PM, John Vere said:

This will save you slogging through all the dozens of  8 page threads looking for the correct information about what is happening in regards to Cakewalk by Bandlabs future. 

@John Vere you make an interesting point around 1:50, regarding those of use who may not want or need a Bandlab membership.

I wonder how aware the Bandlab executives are of some (maybe many) long-term members having no interest in what Bandlab membership can offer?

I wonder how many people only want to use Cakewalk (or Sonar, or whatever they call it) as it is now - or as close to how it is, as possible. 

After one year's very regular use, I am getting to know Cakewalk by Bandlab really well. I like the way it looks and despite several crashes and glitches and trying out other DAWs - I've come back to it for my professional work.

I like it the way it is - and really don't like the look of the new Sonar. If there are others with my mindset (not needing Bandlab subscription and generally happy with CbB)  Bandlab could be in danger of making big business mistake.   

Edited by Stephen Power
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stephen Power said:

I wonder how aware the Bandlab executives are of some (maybe many) long-term members having no interest in what Bandlab membership can offer?

i would guess they were told during one meeting, but i can't think they've bothered with it since 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

I have used Cake products since Pro Audio 9! I have a copy of every version since then all the way to CbB.

I have amassed a HUGE collection of their plugins along with third party plugs!

My point being, there is not much they can offer me to jump to subscription because I am perfectly happy with CbB as is. That is aside from the known bugs that are already there!

I feel that I have spent enough hard earned dollars for Cake products up until now that we deserve to either have a free version or a stupidly cheap stripped down version for those of us who don't need the bells and whistles of a fully blown out version costing hundreds of dollars!

If they leave CbB alone I will be perfectly happy to use it the rest of my days!

I will also be a die hard supporter of Cakewalk products as  have always been. 

• Like 1

i'm still waiting on the free version of a Pro Tools professional version, since i've used it since the late 90's and since i've paid enough into it over the last quarter of a century... not holding my breath though...

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

Protools Perpetual license FREE ( with purchase of their new Mbox Studio  interface)....seems pretty interesting!

I would be happy to pay a reasonable 'unlock fee' to have the (now) monthly CbB Authentication requirement removed. That's money Bandlab could pick up easily if they were so inclined. I wouldn't use the other Banlab features for sure. 

Holding steady for now with CbB, Platinum and Cubase Pro (still learning).

I recently loaded the new version of Cakewalk Command Center (to validate my Platinum install). Amazing how well that worked. My hats off to the great developers at Cakewalk!

When I say I will continue to support Cake, it is conditional to them leaving it alone as is!

I am no fan of any subscription model that is just chomping at the bit to turn off my software!

The least you could do in my opinion is turn off my ability to update but leave me with a working software as is! Give me the choice to upgrade. 

For years I have preached the gospel of Cake to anyone and everyone who would listen.  However, we have been so roiled over the past year about pay or subscription that I stopped doing it.

I use several other DAWs and would have no problems jumping ship elsewhere but I CHOOSE to use Cake.

What is sad is that the other DAWs I use I have been sometimes as far behind as 2 to 3 versions and they worked brilliantly until I could afford to upgrade! 

I don't see that subscription model anywhere close to Cake right now.

AND NO ONE IS BEING COMPLETELY TRANSPARENT ABOUT THEIR INTENTIONS BEYOND THE MISERABLE SUBSCRIPTION MODEL WE HAVE NOW!

I will continue to use Cake as long as I can but until I see a better sales plan than what we have now, I will not recommend Cake to anyone!

As long as everything is in the dark, i'll keep my CbB and Platinum alive, and start learning an alternative Software in case they never decide for perpetual licenses. I'm leaning towards Reaper, S1 or Cubase, although S1 started doing some dumb things lately. I just, want, to have steady support and, the posibility to keep my paid software, without abonnements. What would be a good alternative/supplement to Cakewalk?

11 hours ago, SVSX said:

As long as everything is in the dark, i'll keep my CbB and Platinum alive, and start learning an alternative Software in case they never decide for perpetual licenses. I'm leaning towards Reaper, S1 or Cubase, although S1 started doing some dumb things lately. I just, want, to have steady support and, the posibility to keep my paid software, without abonnements. What would be a good alternative/supplement to Cakewalk?

Related to license security Reaper is surely the best alternative. You get your license as a file that you have to add to the installation, completely offline. This means you are able to install Reaper (the versions you have a license for) on any new replacement pc in the future! Also a license includes two major number of updates, that corresponds to several years! If you are not a professional, then the license (life time) is only $60.

In addition Reaper has an immense functionality (almost everything you could wish): ARA2, batch processing, customized plugin folders, customized menus, customized functions, is super efficient, is super solid, custom themes, ..., and almost everything CbB can do (except PC, Arranger, Aim-Assist and Radius stretching).

• Like 1