I guess it's official

This is totally different than before and the download link is even included in the banner.

But- IMPORTANT_ this doesn't actually tell us there will NEVER be a perpetual licence so we are still left hanging. 

Screenshot (1119).png

2 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

I guess we could bribe the server manager. Or move on. There’s not enough of us to change their minds. 

You nailed it!  This forum is only really a handful of users and if you scoured every post over the last year you might round up 50 people who stated clearly they are against subscriptions. I would imagine now they have posted this in a more public manner that the Bandlab Membership will grow in leaps and bounds. 

If they lose 50- 100- 500 people that's peanuts in the big picture. Heck they probably lost hundreds of people already. 

I guess I'm going to put Sonar aside for now with the hopes they will sell it someday. My Monthly fee was just updated last week so I have Sonar for a few more weeks. I had earmarked June as my last month anyway. It's $20.30 Canadian which is way to much for my music budget. 

I will continue my task of saving all my projects as Midi and Stem files.  My originals are already safe from harm and everything else is not important. I write a new song it will be with Mixcraft. 

Someone ( Misha? ) mentioned they thought it would take hundreds of hours to learn a new Daw. I would say yes if it's overly complicated like Cakewalk. But I'm finding I'm using Mixcraft and rarely having to read the manual. 

• Like 5

I've been a Cakewalk user since 1995 and have thousands of old projects archived some of which I need to access periodically so switching DAWs at this stage would be a real PITA! That and the fact that I have years of muscle memory meaning I don't really have to think much about how to get things done.

What bothers me more about this subscription model is, unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick, if I stop paying the subscription I lose access to the software. Also, if Bandlab go belly up or discontinue the project, Cakewalk Platinum anyone?, I can't use the software. I presume the regular requirement to re-activate CWBBL was a trial of their ability to cut us off?

The only other subscription model I've used allows buying a licence which includes 12 months of updates and then a yearly subscription charge for updates but if you don't keep up the subscription you can keep using the last version you were entitled to.

Time to re-visit Cubase or maybe Reaper I think. I can't work with the sword of Damocles over my head!

It was great while it lasted but It's taken Roland, Gibson and now Bandlab to kill what was the best, most innovative DAW of it's time. I  just need to figure out how to port my old projects. A curse on all their houses!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

Knowing Cakewalk actually speeds up learning a different one since you know what you are looking for. It took me less than two weeks to come up to 90% on a different DAW. 

Amen. Different DAWs are more like different accents than different languages. Some speak with a heavy accent, but it's still an accent.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jeff Bowman said:

I've been a Cakewalk user since 1995 and have thousands of old projects archived some of which I need to access periodically so switching DAWs at this stage would be a real PITA! That and the fact that I have years of muscle memory meaning I don't really have to think much about how to get things done.

What bothers me more about this subscription model is, unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick, if I stop paying the subscription I lose access to the software. Also, if Bandlab go belly up or discontinue the project, Cakewalk Platinum anyone?, I can't use the software. I presume the regular requirement to re-activate CWBBL was a trial of their ability to cut us off?

The only other subscription model I've used allows buying a licence which includes 12 months of updates and then a yearly subscription charge for updates but if you don't keep up the subscription you can keep using the last version you were entitled to.

Time to re-visit Cubase or maybe Reaper I think. I can't work with the sword of Damocles over my head!

It was great while it lasted but It's taken Roland, Gibson and now Bandlab to kill what was the best, most innovative DAW of it's time. I  just need to figure out how to port my old projects. A curse on all their houses!

Just in case anyone missed this, you can open Cakewalk files in Reaper with this incredibly useful tool - it really works very well.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Justin Broad said:

On the plus side....It now no longer looks like they will discontinue CBL. The FAQs even say "the software  will continue receiving essential maintenance updates"

Ah but will it stop the wailing and gnashing of teeth?

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Ah but will it stop the wailing and gnashing of teeth?

None of that here, I just to need to know that I can trust that my tools are available when I need them.

It looks like things are getting clearer.  @  $150 a year or @15 per month for the nu sonar and all of Bandlab stuff.  Or continue to use CbB for free until ms changes something vital and fails to work.  Now all bandlab has to do is add a perpetual license to the options and leave nu sonar operable once the lease period ends.

there are plenty of users willing to shell out $150 to $180 to keep Bandlab rolling for another year.

• Like 2