Any tips for mixing with headphones?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Helios.G said:

Mixing at low volumes is a literal cheat code my friend.  If a mix works at low volumes, it will sound amazing loud.  Also, at low volumes, things that poke out too much or are too prominent in the mix are easier to hear than when it's all loud.  It takes getting used to, but you should give it more time.  The saving your hearing is also a great side benefit of course. 

Yeah I should have put this on my list, I always check mixes so you can only just barely hear them. Anything too loud sticks out like a sore thumb

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Helios.G said:

Also, at low volumes, things that poke out too much or are too prominent in the mix are easier to hear than when it's all loud.

It is sort of a audio fact that everything sounds better when loud. The wall of sound will mask a million imperfections.
It’s like a lot of big concerts I go to these days and it’s massive db of low end. The punters think that this is good sound. I stand there going I can’t hear the keyboard, the hi hat, the BU vocals etc. 
Other than live concerts nobody listens to music at that level at home or while wandering about with ear buds on. 
So absolutely you need your mix to sound great at all levels and starting at the very lowest level will get you there faster.  
I rarely mix at anything over 80-90 db. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, pwal³ said:

i'm sure someone's mentioned it already, but having a reference track in the same style to compare to is useful

And level matching it to the one you're mixing 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Yes. Route it straight to your interface outputs, completely bypassing your master fx bux

BTW does the new Sonar have a dedicated Control Room feature yet?

4 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

nonsense! it will be on the holodeck...

well they did try releasing through steam , so maybe it's a shorter journey than we might expect 02Qp8NssQCHrqFVFEOXnkxr-34.webp.7f50af99f20016de9eb47612633820d5.webp

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Not that I'm aware of. What would you expect from such a feature?

Pertaining to this topic it keeps the studio separate from the mixing area. No need to worry about turning off any hp / room correction software monitored but not wanting rendered. ( or any tools monitored over speakers like clicks, metronomes, talkback, metering, scopes, referencing) No need to import or make  templates, use of simple presets to quickly load up different studio environments or routing scenarios.

It's worth investing in good quality headphones. I'm a fan of Sennheiser 650's. At one time in life I had a relatively well treated room (homestudio wise ) I was very surprised how well they translated to between decent sets of monitors.

• Like 1