Will there be perpetual licenses?

14 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

@Creative Sauce seems to be soldiering on, but his channel was shot through with "look at this amazing DAW that you can get for free."

unfortunately LUNA is still just a beta on Windows, just ran the update today and now some things work better, but i suspect it will still be a while to stabilise for it to be fungible on Windows for more serious folks.

• Like 2

Luna doesn’t support ARA. So way off my list. And I feel it might be a good Daw for people who choose to buy in to their whole system of audio interfaces and plug ins. That is it’s strong point for sure but that’s possible why they made it free( for now?) 

23 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

And you also get:

Early access to beta creation tools like 32-tracks in Studio, Voice Cleaner, Voice-to-MIDI, AutoKey, and more.

Unlimited Opportunities submissions to land live gigs, record deals, or mentorship from industry experts.

Distribution to release your music on major platforms, track your releases, and keep 100% of the royalties you make.

Fan Reach to market your music, build a contactable list of listeners, and grow your fanbase.

Profile Boost to get your profile promoted to high-traffic spots on the BandLab feed.

Permanent Member-exclusive features like a fifth guitar stem split on Splitter.

Customizable profile banners and the option to feature up to five profile photos.

I don't need any of those whatsoever

12 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Luna doesn’t support ARA. So way off my list. And I feel it might be a good Daw for people who choose to buy in to their whole system of audio interfaces and plug ins. That is it’s strong point for sure but that’s possible why they made it free( for now?) 

Try Waveform 13 free. I like it. I'm an audio guy but use EZD3 and EZK2 and Melodyne. Waveform takes a minute to get used to but it's very good.

My conspiracy theory is the whole Bandlab membership is a ruse

A soft launch marketing tactic, to test the waters and see how many new subscribers they can pick up. They will 100% already know that there's a whole swathe of users out there who want a perpetual licence and nothing else.

My prediction is after a community backlash they will pivot into a dual model of subscription alongside a perpetual licence ( which will be more than the the sub ) to appease the masses and make themselves look good.

And this will have been the plan all along. People always want something they can't have. It creates desire.

It they launched both together they would sell less as there would be more apathy. 

All of these sites prey on your ego and hopes of getting famous. You are paying them to string you along with the believe someone is going to all of the sudden offer you a lucrative recording contract (Get heard! Share your music! Colaborate!) but instead you get a steady stream of people offering to provide a large number of fake likes (promotion) for a "fee." Landr, SoundCloud, Bandlab, etc. are all the same.  You pay for false hope.

Yes, some do provide tools to get some songs produced (samples, loops, VSTs, etc.) and listeners can access your music but in the end it's just more come-ons to get money out of you. Cakewalk/Sonar being moved into that arena is borderline insulting and slimy.

If you have good, solid tunes you can get them noticed by playing live and touring. Yes, it costs you money to start out but over time you will get some idea if there is a market for your product and the record producers will come to you. You're packing them in? Well, we have an offer ... Otherwise you are creating product that will just languish on the website. 

Yes, there have been a couple of instances where someone has been noticed on these sites and moved on to a successful career but your odds are next to zero and you will have just kept spending money.

What many of us are asking is that the DAW be decoupled from this false hope so we can make music with a great tool either for ourselves or for others who can then decide how they want to pursue promotion. But don't make us subject to the continuous payment system that will not really do anything of value in the long run. We want the independence.

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Like 2

Here is another flat earth conspiracy:

Now, that the wording in FAQ of discontinuation is gone and with today's announcement by Jesse, I think it is safe to assume they will keep Cakewalk alive for at least a year or two. Perhaps much longer.

Maybe they are just working to add certain features on top of HD GUI to add value to Sonar, so when it's ready for perpetual license release, there will be enough feature differences to seduce us, dear valued customers.  For example, if it offered chord track / assist and it would be only available at higher tier, I would consider getting that version.