Beatskillz 1-Week Flash Sale: SLAM2 for $1 – Don’t Miss Out!

cclarry

21 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

Imagine what this forum would be like if we all did that? You know, @jude77 is a retired psychologist -- but he also shares our plugin / sampling hoarding addiction.  Jude could help us to transition to a support forum!

That seems like a great idea.  And then I saw this Truth Bomb video that @cclarry posted.  If that guy is right I'll need to start a grief support group! 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jude77 said:

That seems like a great idea.  And then I saw this Truth Bomb video that @cclarry posted.  If that guy is right I'll need to start a grief support group! 

I think the guy's kind of right in a way*, in the same way that technically you wouldn't need any colours other than your primaries when painting: you could mix up any colour you want under the sun. But, its far easier and more consistent to buy paints in the colour(s) you need.

* there are potentially some aspects that aren't possible, but I don't think the average purchaser of his course would know the difference yet.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

What are your thoughts on the SSL strips?

Don't know which you're referring to, but I'd suggest concentrating on using individual EQs/compressors, etc until you're comfortable with them before looking at channel strips.

The can make a complete mix sound a bit different, but they're a bit more difficult to use. With dedicated plugins, you generally get a nice UI telling you what's going on in that module. Channel strips are all-in-ones that can feel a bit daunting at first. You'd generally want to put one on each track/bus and you use the shaping tools on them.

I grabbed this $1 plugin. Threw it on a track I'd been stuffing around with and it clearly improved the sound with only a few knob turns. Great for anyone who doesn't want to have to master the art of mixing before they can get a track sounding better. 

I am interested in another of this company's plugins, SampleX V3 which is currently $29 but has been on sale for $9 previously.  I'm on an SP 1200 kick at the moment. 

• Like 4