So .. is AI ( Artificial Intelligence ) coming for us Musicians?

15 hours ago, mettelus said:

My biggest concern with these tools (across the board) has been the propensity of people to be lazy and never even try to learn the skill these tools are helping them with. That lack of skill set is a significant liability that most do not realize until it rears its ugly head on them. "AI" has become more of a buzzword and I have gotten into system discussions arguing that scripting has been around a long time, and having one update parameters based on usage does not make it "intelligent," it is still at the mercy of the person(s) who scripted it in the first place.

This news article made me remember this thread and is the embodiment of lazy. Someone paid top dollar to do work, but presenting something (fictional) compiled by ChatGPT, then getting caught.

[@Grem TOP!!! LOL]

1886358018_helpfulthingy.jpg.5438d8ae315bb1efb122dd559a7fd435.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jackson white said:

if AI is anything like "Automated Attendents", nobody has anything to worry about...

my latest experience with reverb.com was completely brain dead...  

So, just like dealing with a, supposedly alive, Guitar Center person? ?

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

SO here are 3 versions of a Song "I didnt make" with any effort or using years of my muso experience required  using SUNO and CHATGPT. ChatGPT was used to auto generate the lyric around a topic open road, then fed into SUNO telling it the style of music I wanted this new track in

All this took me about 10 minutes with relatively fck all input musically or otherwise. 

Dont judge these on your own likes or dislikes .. just take the point that these were generated without any effort or talent required .. no DAW required or expertise in same. Of course I could have spent a longer time polishing these tracks up, to a point where they would fit in playlists and the short attention span generation couldnt care less as long as it is singable along too, fits in a 2 min TiK Tok vid. Mmm I might try that with these :D

SO you can imagine record company bean counters LOVING THIS. Total control at a fraction of the cost of hiring real musicians and writers. 

Was listening here in Ireland to a podcast about work already being lost in music biz due to AI - In this case it was a pro singer who up to a year ago or so was making ( for years ) decent cash from voice overs, advert music etc .. she said all that biz NOW gone in  a very short while

Also heard on same show the AI evangelist saying likes of SUNO and AI music by numbers is great for democratization of music. Means ANYONE that was here to fore locked out of the music making process up to now, can now produce there own songs without the need to learn to play an instrument or get involved with DAWs and the like or get involved in music theory etc. Doing all the latter is a waste of time and just too much effort

I see musicians groups are demanding that likes of SPOTIFY mark tracks that are AI generated

Edited by aidan o driscoll

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, craigb said:

AI is still behind on credible live performances though...

Who needs credible live performances? Most just want the hook in a 2 min piece on TikTok. For live performance I could see AI generated 3D stage shows of AI Singer Stars .. look at that ABBA show in London, its exactly that.

Check out NVIDIAs take on this and the massive investment they are making in AI Desktop systems coming to a store near you 

I struggle with lyrics from time to time.  I tried out a lyrics writing AI program to see what it would generate, to add to some lyrics I had already written.  The results were interesting.  Not all usable, often simple and cliche, but a few lines got my thinking process jump started.  

I suspect it will get better very quickly.  I could easily find AI to be useful as a cowriter or something to bounce ideas off of.  There are already near rhyming apps that I’ve used for years to help the writing process.  I think it depends on who’s behind the wheel driving the car, who’s making the final decisions that matters.  AI isn’t going away, so I’m trying to figure out how to embrace it as a tool.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

All this took me about 10 minutes with relatively fck all input musically or otherwise. 

And yet...... it sounds subjectively better written, performed and produced than most of the stuff in the songs forum here. Probably because it's trained on professionally produced music. 

Personally  I don't think we're going to see human music replaced by AI music, but it will be another genre alongside all the others.

Most people follow  the artists/bands they like because they're invested not only in the music but in the person/people too. AI could write the best song in the world but if there's no human story or personality behind it listeners can't get as invested - I've followed some my favourite bands since the 80s &90s through all the ups and downs, breakups, comebacks etc. It's all part of the rich tapestry of their story which we connect with on a human level.

What I predict will happen is we'll get a boom of novelty AI generated songs which lots of people will think is cool for a little while but once the novelty wears off it will become a bit same old, same old and people will naturally gravitate back to the actual artists they admire. 

Like someone said above if anyone can do it then there's no real value. Things have value that are scarce.  If you commodetise it then it loses it's appeal.     

In my little niche of the industry some folks are worried that people writing background music for TV might get replaced by AI. I'm not overly worried myself for a number of reasons, some of them musical, some of them practical ,  some ethical, and some of them legisaltive but basically for an AI to do what I do would not be that straightforward and even if it could there are changes that would need to be made to the legal copyright framework to allow it to happen. More than one Production Music company that I write for have instigated a " No AI generated material " policy because there is a risk of someone being sued if an AI model spits out a hook that's close to another copyrighted work for example. 

Overall I think it will have it's little day in the sun and then once the novelty wears off we'll be back to business as usual but hopefully with some better tools to help us - not replace us.

Mark ( Sync Producer with music in over 1K TV shows )  

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

And yet...... it sounds subjectively better written, performed and produced than most of the stuff in the songs forum here. Probably because it's trained on professionally produced music. 

Personally  I don't think we're going to see human music replaced by AI music, but it will be another genre alongside all the others.

Most people follow  the artists/bands they like because they're invested not only in the music but in the person/people too. AI could write the best song in the world but if there's no human story or personality behind it listeners can't get as invested - I've followed some my favourite bands since the 80s &90s through all the ups and downs, breakups, comebacks etc. It's all part of the rich tapestry of their story which we connect with on a human level.

What I predict will happen is we'll get a boom of novelty AI generated songs which lots of people will think is cool for a little while but once the novelty wears off it will become a bit same old, same old and people will naturally gravitate back to the actual artists they admire. 

Like someone said above if anyone can do it then there's no real value. Things have value that are scarce.  If you commodetise it then it loses it's appeal.     

In my little niche of the industry some folks are worried that people writing background music for TV might get replaced by AI. I'm not overly worried myself for a number of reasons, some of them musical, some of them practical ,  some ethical, and some of them legisaltive but basically for an AI to do what I do would not be that straightforward and even if it could there are changes that would need to be made to the legal copyright framework to allow it to happen. More than one Production Music company that I write for have instigated a " No AI generated material " policy because there is a risk of someone being sued if an AI model spits out a hook that's close to another copyrighted work for example. 

Overall I think it will have it's little day in the sun and then once the novelty wears off we'll be back to business as usual but hopefully with some better tools to help us - not replace us.

Mark ( Sync Producer with music in over 1K TV shows )  

BTW Guys, I am a fully signed on traditional write your own music/songs, record all instruments, learn how to play instruments, learn to use DAWS, plugins, Play live with band, invest time in all that. Been at it ( cakewalk ) since early 90s . And from that would hope to be able to "properly" write songs, perform them etc.

However I imagine this would be seen to be old school now and just too much like hard work. We live in a time where instant gratification is required and short attention span reins. This from the whole get rich quick idea .. instant youtube star, influencer etc. No one wants to learn  something anymore ( eg an instrument, music theory, a DAW etc ) .. its now all about the quickest route with minimum of effort and time.  

Here, we most likely would all come from years of learning instruments, DAWs, Plugins, honing our craft etc - it seems this is not the thing for newer generations of people and so AI insta generated "original tracks" is the ideal solution - no need to learn anything, let AI do it for you, feel proud of "Your" new track.

NEXT auto make the video for TikTok in Suno and upload. Instant fame, loads of hits on TikTok, go viral. All this literally done in half an hour. Why slave for months over a DAW, why slave for years learning an instrument

We may look at all that and go I would prefer the "old way" .. but to a newer generation - not interested, dont care.

So then onto the record companies - I see them fully embracing likes of SUNO AI to churn out tracks and fill the charts with same for a new generation of listeners who really dont care where the track came from or how it was written. Its the new version of Stock Aiken and waterman - formula music.

For record company bean counters its a dream & cheaper. For record companies themselves its total control, no need to hire muso's like us.

BTW - I read somewhere that a thing now is the 2 min songs starting with the hook line / chorus. This blends with the short attention span I mentioned above

Take those 3 Suno AI tracks I posted on previous page. For a record company all they need is to churn out a load of this INHOUSE and then assign these tracks to be sung by a stable of there famous artists as new "original tracks" dumped into the charts. So AI generates the tracks inc the lyrics with an AI vocal. This then is given to one of there famous artists to cover so to speak and record/replace the AI vocals with artist vocal, thats the version that goes into the charts. 

It would not surprise me if one of the big record companies at some point buys out SUNO or equivalent. In fact they are probably developing there own inhouse versions at the moment.

Anyway - yes I AM CYNICAL about all this. I see people here saying they want to see how they might incorporate AI into there music making. It might start as an ideas thing as input to a cakewalk project but as time goes on and as likes of Suno improves even more and the charts are all AI produced material I think it will not be a case of how to incorporate AI into your music making .. it will be AI assimulating your process :D

At the moment SUNO does not offer a way to break up an AI produced track into stems. This of course would be a way to get it into Cakewalk in separate tracks to then maybe further improve a track, use different vocals etc 

I will continue using my instruments, sounds, Cakewalk ( loving the new simplicity that is NEXT ) and write my own stuff, add to likes of bandcamp etc. Where I may dip into AI like Suno is as an ideas machine. Possibly regenerate these ideas and refine in Cakewalk after. I use SCALER plugin already for this kind of thing.

As a person who doesnt have a great voice and needs a vocalist - thats where AI might help. As it does also with generated lyrics

MORE AI - i mentioned Suno does not make stems of your tracks there. Elsewhere there is an AI tool for that however. 

https://fadr.com

14 hours ago, craigb said:

AI is still behind on credible live performances though...

2 hours ago, pwal³ said:

gigs in the small room, where you can see the whites of their eyes

@pwal³  Gee, that was original.  What are you, a bot???

?

Edited by craigb