Using a sampler

LQ

I've downloaded a sampler but I don't understand how to use it with Cakewalk. It's meant to be VST so I added it like a normal plugin but it isn't detected. I'm pretty new to this stuff so maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

7 minutes ago, LQ said:

I've downloaded a sampler but I don't understand how to use it with Cakewalk. It's meant to be VST so I added it like a normal plugin but it isn't detected. I'm pretty new to this stuff so maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

I use an old sampler--Emulator X.  It functions as a standalone sampler and also as a VSTi in Cakewalk.  I don't do anything special to make it work as a VSTi.  Is the sampler you chose in your VST scan path and did you rescan after you installed it?

26 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I use an old sampler--Emulator X.  It functions as a standalone sampler and also as a VSTi in Cakewalk.  I don't do anything special to make it work as a VSTi.  Is the sampler you chose in your VST scan path and did you rescan after you installed it?

Yeah, I actually tried it with two different samplers and rescanned each time but unfortunately wasn't detected. I might try Emulator X and see if that one works.

3 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Its an old one, hasn't been available for a decade (+/-).  I just mentioned it as an example.  I have seen other samplers listed in the forum that are available.  I just don't use them.

Oh okay. I just planned to try it to see if it worked or if there was a problem with where I'm putting the plugins or something.

33 minutes ago, LQ said:

That's actually the one I'm using. I probably should have specified, the ones I've tried are TX16Wx Software Sampler and Grace Sampler.

Yes, the more info provided the better.

Both of these work fine in CbB.

Maybe some more details about where they were installed, the scan path in preferences and which instrument plug-in layout is used in CbB.

CW makes no distinction between a sampler and any other type of software instrument, so the problem isn't that it's a sampler per se. Usually, when a plugin isn't detected it's because the DLL was installed into a folder that the VST scanner wasn't told to look in. Figure out where it resides on disk, then add that path to the scanner's list of places to look, as detailed in scook's link above. That should solve your problem.

As an aside and speaking of samplers. Some may not be aware that REASON 11 & its instruments can be used inside CW as plugins. The REASON INTRO 11 is well worth it here because as well as all its included instruments and efx it also has the NN-XT and the NN19 Samplers which will now work inside CW. REASON INTRO is €79, pretty much the price of other sampler vsts on there own:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/product/reason-11-intro/

34 minutes ago, scook said:

Yes, the more info provided the better.

Both of these work fine in CbB.

Maybe some more details about where they were installed, the scan path in preferences and which instrument plug-in layout is used in CbB.

They were installed to a ProgramData file on my harddrive and I moved them into a folder for cakewalk plugins which I have added as a folder in VST Settings and contains instrument plugins which are all detected by Cakewalk. I also tried moving them to cakewalk's Vst folder and that still didn't work. I'm also not sure how to open them by themselves, if that's possible. 

35 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

CW makes no distinction between a sampler and any other type of software instrument, so the problem isn't that it's a sampler per se. Usually, when a plugin isn't detected it's because the DLL was installed into a folder that the VST scanner wasn't told to look in. Figure out where it resides on disk, then add that path to the scanner's list of places to look, as detailed in scook's link above. That should solve your problem.

They were installed in folders in my hard drive originally but I moved them into a folder which is added to the VST scanner, but they were not detected. 

Plug-ins should not be installed in ProgramData. AFAIK, no plug-ins install their by default. They might install support files in that area but the actual plug-ins never go there.

Moving the folders may not be a good idea because both plug-ins use installers and may write install location data into the registry.

Uninstall the plug-ins.

Re-install them and pay close attention to where the VST portion of the plug-ins install. This may be modified to your existing scan path or at least a folder that is not hidden. Usually it will be somewhere in "C:\Program Files"

• Like 1

19 hours ago, scook said:

Plug-ins should not be installed in ProgramData. AFAIK, no plug-ins install their by default. They might install support files in that area but the actual plug-ins never go there.

Moving the folders may not be a good idea because both plug-ins use installers and may write install location data into the registry.

Uninstall the plug-ins.

Re-install them and pay close attention to where the VST portion of the plug-ins install. This may be modified to your existing scan path or at least a folder that is not hidden. Usually it will be somewhere in "C:\Program Files"

Thank you, I double checked where the VST part was installed and found the plugin for Grace and now it's working fine. As for TX16Wx I found that in program files too, but there was a warning about something about and outgoing call not working because there was some sort of ingoing call and the plugin wasn't scanned and even if I rescan it doesn't show the warning again but just doesn't detect any new plugins. Either way I at least have Grace working now, so thank you for your help!