Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
razor7music

MIDI Velocity Straight Line Tool

Recommended Posts

Hello Group--

Many CW versions ago, in PRV, there was an edit tool where you could use a straight line to edit velocity. Either the activation of that tool is somewhere I can no longer find it (probably not), or the tool was removed in past versions.

It's hard to explain, but if you used to use it, you know what I mean (I hope).

Is it still an option? If not, would anyone like to see that come back?

 

Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the controller pane showing, use the transform tool. Activate this with a little button in the bottom left corner. It looks like a square with a dot in the middle. Then drag the corners of the box that appears in the controller pane.

Cheers, Peter.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm back in the studio, and I don't think I was clear on my explanation of what I am looking for.

There used to be a line tool where one side was "anchored" on the left so as to make drawing a perfectly straight horizontal line across multiple MIDI note velocities was easy. I've seen the current line drawing tool, but the one I'm trying to refer to is the one I described above.

If you can imagine you had a string that had one end pinned down with a tack. Pulling the opposite end tight would make it easy to create a straight line. That's how the line tool used to work as an option.

Anyone remember that? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Skyline_UK said:

Are you thinking of an envelope in the track view?

Nope. It was an option in PRV when you had a split view of the midi events with the velocity in the bottom view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know exactly what you mean and I haven’t been able to find it or make something work similarly either. I miss it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, razor7music said:

Hello Group--

Many CW versions ago, in PRV, there was an edit tool where you could use a straight line to edit velocity. Either the activation of that tool is somewhere I can no longer find it (probably not), or the tool was removed in past versions.

It's hard to explain, but if you used to use it, you know what I mean (I hope).

Is it still an option? If not, would anyone like to see that come back?

 

Thanks,

Do you mean this? 

  • Right Click on the Draw tool at the top left and select Line
  • In the PRV velocity window left click at the start of the line and drag to the right with the left mouse button still pressed
  • Let go of the left mouse button at the end of the line

In the example below I have dragged a velocity line from the first to the fifth event to create a linear increase in velocity.

Velocity Line.jpg

Edited by ZincT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ZincT said:

Do you mean this? 

  • Right Click on the Draw tool at the top left and select Line
  • In the PRV velocity window left click at the start of the line and drag to the right with the left mouse button still pressed
  • Let go of the left mouse button at the end of the line

In the example below I have dragged a velocity line from the first to the fifth event to create a linear increase in velocity.

Velocity Line.jpg

Nope. I mentioned it's not the current line draw tool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, razor7music said:

Nope. I mentioned it's not the current line draw tool.

Ok sorry I just responded to the first post and missed the third one.

I have always done this with the line draw or latterly transform tool and I don't recall seeing any other way but it may pre-date my use of CbB/Sonar.

Edited by ZincT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, there was no bounding box as shown in the transform tool help. It just made a line that stayed attached on the left side and could be angled across the whole of the songs velocity events and made a perfect line.  Its not as easy to get a perfectly straight line with what tools I am familiar with now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have almost no experience with PRV, but I looked in Sonar 3 Producer and am wondering if this is what's being discussed?  First png: I had no data, but had a line drawing tool.  It had a big + [plus] on the right side of the line that didn't get captured. 

ADDENDUM: Second png: hand drawn and line tool with data. Third png: tool bar with "Draw Line [L]" Tool

image.png.e26902aba474ede05a4ac0a4e4ecac9b.png image.png.9daf1f96c6ef59cebae79dfc82c58a50.png image.png.36c24ecab2cdd6fad06f4a79a8bf9499.png

Edited by User 905133
to add a new png (x2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Line tool works that same as it always did; it just doesn't show an actual line across the velocities/controllers as shown in the screenshot from SONAR 3.  The starting point is anchored, and the you can drag the end around to get the slope and range of the linear change you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Line tool works that same as it always did; it just doesn't show an actual line across the velocities/controllers as shown in the screenshot from SONAR 3.  The starting point is anchored, and the you can drag the end around to get the slope and range of the linear change you want.

Really? Ok, that makes sense. I'll try it again. Have to say I prefer seeing the line.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...