Bus Templates?

Nuno.P

Hi,

Great Work bandlab team.

What about bus templates?

It probably is easy to do it.

WIth track templates and project templates you can insert bus but not directly.

I use reverb Bus as a lot of people and diferente templates for diferent reverb bus would be great.

You could get whatever buses you typically use inserted into an empty project, and then save the project as a Project Template, rather than as a Track Template.

I am a little confused by your statement that you can insert buses but not directly.  I do not know what that means.

I just did exactly what I suggested above, and it worked just fine.  Here again, are the steps:

1) Open a new project, from whatever project template you wish

2) Insert whatever buses you wish, (right-click in the Bus Pane and click on Insert a Stereo Bus), and if you have standard effects you wish to place on that bus, go ahead and do so.

3) Save the new project as a Project Template (*.cwp), into the Project Templates folder, with its type set to Template, and give it a name

You should now be able to start new projects using your new Project Template, and whatever buses and effects you had saved will come into your new project.

Bob Bone

The workaround is:

create a audio track

Insert sends to the reverb bus you want.

Save a templete of that audio track.

Then insert that audio track in another project and it will also creat the required bus.

I just think its 's easy to do this directly inserting bus from template

• Like 1

Inserting things from templates is totally new to me.  I have created my own project templates and have used those for new projects based on the template. So, to learn new-to-me techniques I tried inserting a few things (1) into a newly opened midi file project, (2) into a new project with no existing tracks, and (3) into an existing Cakewalk Project. 

In all three cases when I selected "Insert from track template" by right clicking in the track area of the track pane and then selecting one of the "Soft Synth Track Templates," Cakewalk (2019.09 build 70) inserted both tracks and buses. For example, see below.

So far as I can tell, I did not follow any of the methods listed above. So, I am wondering if I am doing something similar (just with different steps) or if what you are discussing adds in something else that I can learn about.

Thanks. 

image.png.b093ae4dd2de889de87290fa1641bcaa.png

Update: I thought, "Maybe my method doesn't add FX Sends and that's what the other methods do."  To test this, I opened up an existing project and tried another insertion from the "Insert from Track Template" menu system.  See below.  The template I chose added Master bus and a track with FX sends. 

Are you discussing adding (1) a new FX sends bus from a template and (2) having one or more existing tracks directed to that newly inserted bus all in one step?

This is giving me new ideas for revamping my workflow and new methods of creating templates and projects.  Thanks for raising the discussion.  

image.png.890fec93c58daa3bf85006c990ceb081.png.    

image.png

Edited by User 905133
to continue to try to remove duplicate image
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Nuno.P said:

i want to insert the bus in a existing project. Not a new one.

If yu do that in the tracks you can "insert from a template"

In the Bus section you haven't got that option

Thanks for clarifying about existing projects, and about not having just a bus template  - yes - the earlier described use of track templates can bring in one or more audio tracks, any associated soft synths and midi tracks, any track loaded effects, any associated buses, and any bus effects.  I use track templates all the time, particularly for drum kits, as I route each kit piece to its own output channel, and to separate audio tracks, then the audio tracks are routed to various buses (toms, kick, snare, cymbals, parallel compression, reverb, etc...), and all of that comes in with just a couple of mouse clicks - even the levels are already preset to appropriate levels.

I LOVE track templates.  I do use my own project templates, but mostly those don't have a lot in them, most of the heavy lifting gets done with the track templates.  One of the most powerful features for getting a GIANT list of things done with just a few mouse clicks.

Bob Bone

@User 905133 if you have sends on tracks or buses, and those buses are connected to a track that is selected when doing the Export as a Track Template, then all selected tracks, and their associated buses, and any other buses that are fed by the buses connected to the selected tracks, AND their sends, and the effects loaded onto selected tracks or on buses that are connected to tracks or connected to other buses that are connected to selected tracks, all of that will all be saved in the Export as a Track Template process.

I have all kinds of buses and tracks and effects and synths and levels and sends and all of that, as part of track templates.

Bob Bone

Thanks for the additional information, but the details in the new posts and in the online help seem to me to be about track templates, not bus templates available directly from the bus pane of the track window.

I was under the impression that the thread was about having the ability to do something like right-click in the bus area of the track pane or to otherwise insert a bus from a bus template as opposed to using a track template.  Based on my tests, (1) I couldn't see the benefit there would be and (2) it seemed that buses and pre-associated sends could be inserted from track templates into new or existing projects.

It is good to know that the mechanism to create Track Templates is rather straight forward.

However, I still don't know if having an "Insert from Bus Template" option from the bus pane would add something new or if it would be simpler/easier than what I did.  (See screenshots above.)

12 hours ago, Nuno.P said:

What about bus templates?

With track templates and project templates you can insert bus but not directly.

11 hours ago, Nuno.P said:

In the Bus section you haven't got that option

Just providing info on what is available, since it is not directly an option from the bus pane.  What is in place meets my needs wonderfully.  Inserting a bus is 2 mouse clicks and a rename, so that doesn't slow me down.  Particularly since most of what I am doing already comes in with one or more track templates, as needed.

If having the ability to insert a bus template is of value - perhaps a post asking for it in the Feedback forum would help the development folks see and consider it.

Bob Bone

• Like 1

5 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Update: I thought, "Maybe my method doesn't add FX Sends and that's what the other methods do."  To test this, I opened up an existing project and tried another insertion from the "Insert from Track Template" menu system.  See below.  The template I chose added Master bus and a track with FX sends. 

Are you discussing adding (1) a new FX sends bus from a template and (2) having one or more existing tracks directed to that newly inserted bus all in one step?

This is giving me new ideas for revamping my workflow and new methods of creating templates and projects.  Thanks for raising the discussion.     

One of the options in the documentation I posted the link for, is to replace an existing track's settings, from a track template, where the track template brings its associated additional items with it, like a bus and effects and sends and whatnot, while replacing the existing track's settings, but leaving its clips and such in place.  Maybe that would be of value to you.  (That info is at the bottom of the page the link takes you to).

Bob Bone

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

One of the options in the documentation I posted the link for, is to replace an existing track's settings, from a track template, where the track template brings its associated additional items with it, like a bus and effects and sends and whatnot, while replacing the existing track's settings, but leaving its clips and such in place.  Maybe that would be of value to you.  (That info is at the bottom of the page the link takes you to).

Bob Bone

I was not asking for suggestions. I was responding to the "Insert from Bus Template" issue.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

Just providing info on what is available, since it is not directly an option from the bus pane.  What is in place meets my needs wonderfully.  Inserting a bus is 2 mouse clicks and a rename, so that doesn't slow me down.  Particularly since most of what I am doing already comes in with one or more track templates, as needed.

If having the ability to insert a bus template is of value - perhaps a post asking for it in the Feedback forum would help the development folks see and consider it.

In case it is still not clear, I was not asking for the ability to "Insert from Bus Template" or suggesting that being able to right click in the bus pane area would be useful.  I was saying that I didn't see any benefits to either of these options. Maybe there are; I  just haven't seen them described. 

Sorry if it looked like I was asking for help on how to use Track Templates. Nevertheless, thanks for pointing out how easy it is to create them

From what little I have explored so far (see screenshots previously posted), I have some definite thoughts on how to integrate them into my existing work flow.   I need to sort that out along with integrating other advanced features I have not really explored fully over the decades.

When I get around to it, if I can't figure out how to do something, I will certainly want to call on your (and others') more extensive experience.**

Again, thanks for the discussion here as it has pointed me to explore Track Templates!  If other Cakewalk users (new and old, inexperienced and experienced) haven't yet explored them, maybe this thread will prompt them to do so.

**PS: When I do, I will probably either find a thread about Track Templates (how to create and use them) or create a "Creating and Using Templates" topic if one doesn't exist.  That way, this thread can return to thoughts related to Bus Templates. 

Edited by User 905133
to add a PS
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

My comment was meant to clarify the 2nd part of the above question you had raised, in that using the Replace from Track Template section of the documentation can do exactly that - changing the settings of an existing track, to point to a new bus that is brought in by that  template, and set up the send from the track to the bus.  Wasn't sure if you were aware of that. 

I do need to point out that if using the Replace From Track Template, the track's name will be changed to that of what it is called in the Track Template, and the gain level will be modified as well, to the level as contained in the track setting from the Track Template, so if using Replace From Track Template, there will almost certainly be things to be aware of, because they will be changed, which could cause problems if not aware of that happening. 

I am not sure if I would ever use the Replace From Track Template option, but I do use Track Templates all the time, to bring in various tracks and buses, and soft synths, and all that......

Glad you have some motivation to explore Track Templates, and hope you find them to be as useful as I have found them.

Bob Bone 

• Like 1

thanks for all your interest and coments.

User 905133, track presets are a great way to improve your workflow and save time.

Bus presets are not as important as track presets but can also save you time when you use FX Bus, or Parallele Compression Bus, One of the most important FX Bus is the Reverb Bus. Instead of starting always from scracth you can have a few presets you fine tune over time to start as a base.

it´s not a huge deal. It´s just a very simple way tosave time and be more efficient.

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

I don;t use Prochannel.  But I do now save FX Chains that can be loaded into a bus.  As example I use a reverb, crystals, and echo effects for high frequencies in a bus. i then load the FX chain in a HF bus that is saved in a project template, when I want to use it.

• Like 1

I do what you are asking for. I have a cakewalk song with 1 track. That track has  5 sends to 5 reverb/ echo buses. 
When I save it as a track template and insert it into a song, it creates all 5 buses with each reverb/echo effect with all the plug-in settings just the way yiu want them. Also all the buses that those reverb/echo tracks use, plus the Main bus , Master bus and effects buses. All I have to do is just delete the track and all the reverb buses and sub buses and master buses stay and are ready for use. I have another with saturation buses that I am tweaking now. I have another with my version of a bus compression technic by Michael Brauer called Brauerizing.  It is my version of multibus, multiparallel compression technic.  I have also use a bunch of FX chains. FX chains can contain any vst, not pro-channel related at all. Some of my FX chains are just a Renaissance EQ and a  Renaissance Compressor. Some are complex like my snare with Pro-Q3, Rbass, Vitamin,  Kiive Xtressor, SPL Transient, Root One, bx_subsynth and Denise-Noize. I don’t usually use all these on every snare. I just turn them off and on, and tweak them till I like the sound.  When I’m finished I delete the ones that didn’t fit this song. I don’t just have one reverb bus template. For instance I have several reverb/bus templates for different styles of music. I have some with Elvis style slapback echo and some with Acustica’s Lemon set to super long echo. Some of those are so long I think they bounce all the way to the end of the next song lol!!! These bus/track creations is how you build “your” sound. This track/bus templates will save you a ton of work a stimulate your creative juices.  All this and we haven’t even talked about fancy routings that can be included in these with Aux buses and patch points. 
Then we have Cantable and waves Studio rack. Now the routing can look like a 10 story office building network  phone patchbay. 

• Like 1