Cakewalk Beginner Question

JOHN C MOYERS

Question

So at this point I've viewed many Cakewalk "basics" videos.  But I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  Issue:

1. created project in Dorico

2. exported midi file, imported to Cakewalk

3. Added my instrument (Hollywood Opus Strings)

4. Press play and no playback of file.  The green lights in the tracks flash as if receiving the data but no sound.

ASIO driver and output devices are working.  I'm at a loss here.

Thanks.

6 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, JOHN C MOYERS said:

Thank you, I got it to work.  Now having problems with Kontakt, which seems like a different beast.  This time with Cinematic Studio winds.  Can't figure out a way to get separate instances of each CSW instrument per channel.  If I set clarinet to channel 6, then separately set bassoon to channel 8, it overwrites my clarinet selection.

Make sure the MIDI channel of the MIDI track matches the MIDI channel of the Kontakt part that you wish to send that MIDI data to..  Do not use Omni.

MC.jpg

Thank you, I got it to work.  Now having problems with Kontakt, which seems like a different beast.  This time with Cinematic Studio winds.  Can't figure out a way to get separate instances of each CSW instrument per channel.  If I set clarinet to channel 6, then separately set bassoon to channel 8, it overwrites my clarinet selection.  Probably more of an issue of me not knowing how to deal with CSW.

8 hours ago, JOHN C MOYERS said:

Thanks again.  I didn't realize I needed separate instances of Kontakt to assign different channels.  Haven't worked with this library much. 

You can have separate instances of Kontakt to assign different channels if you like. 

However, you do not need two instances of Kontakt to assign different MIDI channels.  Kontakt is a multitimbral plugin.  That means you can have a single instance of Kontakt loaded with multiple parts.  Each part can be set to receive on a different MIDI channels. 

Have another look at my second screenshot.  That is showing a single instance of Kontakt, but with two parts, each set to a different MIDI channel.  One part has Alicia Keys piano set to receive on MIDI channel 1.  The other part has 8DIO Anthology Ensemble set to receive on MIDI channel 2. 

Both MIDI tracks are routed to that single instance of Kontakt.  Each MIDI track’s MIDI channels are set to channel 1 and 2 respectively.

• Like 1