Midi / Audio Latency

Emanu3le85

Question

I have different latencies,

when I apply recording, all the automations start very late which does not happen in playback.

when I record audio from an internal VST or an external synth the recording will start a few seconds early.

latencymon does not detect any latency problems, I tried to deactivate all the fx, activate the dc compensation, change the buffer size but nothing seems to change

What else?

Edited by Emanu3le85

1 hour ago, Xoo said:

Audio metronome enabled?

I think I still haven't understood what the audio metronome is.

59 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Sounds like you've got some lookahead plugins.  Mastering/Linear Phase plugins will cause this.  They're designed to be used at mixing/mastering time and should be avoided at tracking time.

do you think it's some plugin? maybe it could be, but I still think it's the fact that the project has to calculate more than 30 instrument channels connected to the aux with echo input activated each time, if the project is empty I have no latency in recording

7 hours ago, Emanu3le85 said:

I think I still haven't understood what the audio metronome is.

If there is no audio or software synthesizers in a project, you can use the MIDI metronome. As soon as you add audio, it will begin to use the audio metronome to try to keep things in synch.
In Preferences, you can select to use the audio met all the time if you want.

metprefs.png

1 hour ago, 57Gregy said:

If there is no audio or software synthesizers in a project, you can use the MIDI metronome. As soon as you add audio, it will begin to use the audio metronome to try to keep things in synch.
In Preferences, you can select to use the audio met all the time if you want.

metprefs.png

I have more than 30 tracks of just virtual synth and 3 drum machines, I don't work much with audio,other than some tweaks to the recording of my takes but sometimes I use freeze, what interests me is having a reactive Midi/instrument project, However, I had never see the audio metronome before,   now it is set to itself as "metronome", it's okay?

If you have "virtual synths" also known as software synthesizers, soft synths, VSTi's, instrument tracks or simple instrument tracks, then you have audio in the project and the audio metronome will be selected.
As far as I understand it.

On 4/29/2024 at 4:49 AM, Emanu3le85 said:

I still think it's the fact that the project has to calculate more than 30 instrument channels connected to the aux with echo input activated each time, if the project is empty I have no latency in recording

Processing load alone will not increase latency. Latency will remain the same as you start getting more and more crackles from late buffers until eventually the audioe engine drops out. I posted early on about Plugin Delay Compensation and that is still the most likely cause, but it doesn't seem you've thoroughly investigated that by removing/bypassing plugins or archiving tracks.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, David Baay said:

Processing load alone will not increase latency. Latency will remain the same as you start getting more and more crackles from late buffers until eventually the audioe engine drops out. I posted early on about Plugin Delay Compensation and that is still the most likely cause, but it doesn't seem you've thoroughly investigated that by removing/bypassing plugins or archiving tracks.

I've been trying for at least a month to understand what that latency is by eliminating all the plugins or bypassing the fx or turning off the Echo inputs, changing the buffer settings, but from the template the latency of the recording automations doesn't go away, the only solution seems to be open an empty template, I don't know what I've done, as soon as I can I'll attach the screenshots of my MIDI/instrument template

Edited by Emanu3le85

I don't get latency with your project, but I'm missing some plugins. The first suspect I see is:

LoudMax - Per the website: "LoudMax is a Look-Ahead Brickwall Loudness Maximizer". It's in an FX Chain in the Prochannel on the DnB bus.

Other suspects would be one of the several reverbs that might use convolution.

And, as mentioned previously, I don;t have any of the Kilohearts stuff.

In general, I would not recommend using such and intensely "pre-populated" template with such convoluted routing and so many plugins.

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

I don't get latency with your project, but I'm missing some plugins. The first suspect I see is:

LoudMax - Per the website: "LoudMax is a Look-Ahead Brickwall Loudness Maximizer". It's in an FX Chain in the Prochannel on the DnB bus.

Other suspects would be one of the several reverbs that might use convolution.

And, as mentioned previously, I don;t have any of the Kilohearts stuff.

In general, I would not recommend using such and intensely "pre-populated" template with such convoluted routing and so many plugins.

I didn't know about the loudmax issue, thanks, the template is complex because it is the skeleton of my songs, I already have everything there, I will try to eliminate that limiter, the parallel reverbs are very useful for me to not waste time building everything every time, I will try to find the culprit