Suggestions please on How to repeat chorus and fade

Roy Slough

Question

I would like to repeat the final chorus (maybe 2 or 3 times) and Fade out.  There are approx. 20 tracks in the mix

Any suggestions on how best to achieve this would be useful.

Obviously, I could just mix what I have and work on the result and repeat and fade that, but I thought there might be a better way?

Thanks

2 answers to this question

You can use the Arranger (see the Ref. Guide), but if it's going to be the primary version of the song, I would do it the old-fashioned way:

0. Save the project as it is now.

1. Enable Ripple All in the upper right corner of the Track View next to the Auto-Crossfade setting. Ripple All ensures everything in the project (all tracks, tempos, track/bus automation, etc) are moved/copied/pasted/deleted when you move/copy/paste/insert/delete even a small part of one track.

2. Set the Now time to the place where the repeats will start, and Project > Insert Time/Measures.

3. Insert the number of Measure needed to acommodate the three repeats.

4. Select in the timeline or a maybe a clip in some track that conveniently emcompasses the full length of the chorus.

5.  Ctrl+C to copy, and then Ctrl+Alt+V to Paste Special with 3 repeats.

6. Add volume automation to the Master bus, with a nodes at 0dB where the fade starts and -Inf where it will end, and choose an the desired curve. I usually like Fast Out over about the last 8-16 measures, depending on the tempo and song structure.

6. Save As the new version with a suffix added to the name like " - Added Chorus Repeats and Fade Out".

4 hours ago, David Baay said:

You can use the Arranger (see the Ref. Guide), but if it's going to be the primary version of the song, I would do it the old-fashioned way:

0. Save the project as it is now.

1. Enable Ripple All in the upper right corner of the Track View next to the Auto-Crossfade setting. Ripple All ensures everything in the project (all tracks, tempos, track/bus automation, etc) are moved/copied/pasted/deleted when you move/copy/paste/insert/delete even a small part of one track.

2. Set the Now time to the place where the repeats will start, and Project > Insert Time/Measures.

3. Insert the number of Measure needed to acommodate the three repeats.

4. Select in the timeline or a maybe a clip in some track that conveniently emcompasses the full length of the chorus.

5.  Ctrl+C to copy, and then Ctrl+Alt+V to Paste Special with 3 repeats.

6. Add volume automation to the Master bus, with a nodes at 0dB where the fade starts and -Inf where it will end, and choose an the desired curve. I usually like Fast Out over about the last 8-16 measures, depending on the tempo and song structure.

6. Save As the new version with a suffix added to the name like " - Added Chorus Repeats and Fade Out".

Thanks David,  This is good advice on how to achieve what I need. I had already "re-Arranged" earlier parts of the song (reducing the intro, Shortening the 1st chorus) But it was tricky and I had to try several times to get it right (no knowledge of Rippleing)

So I will try your method when I have completed all the other tidying up, level matching, inclusion of effects and mixing.