Cakewalk Next

John Vere

I originally posted a few videos back in November but was asked the please remove them until it was officially released. All discussions were to be on Discord. 
So now it’s available I can post here just in case a few Cakewalk users were thinking about giving it a test drive . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I had made a couple of these back in November but was asked to remove them until Next was released. So I touched them up a little and re posted them. 

Not sure when I’ll have time for more and I can’t finish Part3 until the major bug in the Punch in Recording is fixed. 

• Like 2

Good Sonar and Next overviews. Thanks!

For stem separation, at least some time ago (when I was interested) my favorite was Ultimate Vocal Removal. Most (all?) separators differ just in trained model, and results depends from the music you separate (the quality of particular tracks is the source and model dependent, one model can deliver better drums while other better vocal, extracted from the same source...).

UVR is a GUI with several parameters and models. It is offline and open source, as everything else it uses. Back-ends have good scientific explanations, comparisons and references.

• Like 1

Thanks @azslow3 for the tip. It seems stupid to keep a whole DAW installed just for stem separation. I just bought Mixcraft on sale as a good alternative DAW. I like it a lot. It has Stem Separation but compared to Next it’s almost useless. Very underwater sounds on all tracks. Your explanation of the different source models makes sense. I read that there is basically this one open source AI that any developers can use. Which explains why in Next it uploads and downloads the files. 
I will definitely check that out because this is a tool I’m finding very useful now for backing track creation. 

2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

@John Vere
Maybe I should clarify here. 
which app returns the best separation?

Next or Mixcraft?

t

I will do a side by side test. It might have been the song I chose in Mixcraft. So I had the idea of exporting one of my songs with the 5 tracks Bass, Drums,Vocal,Guitars and then Piano. No reverb or stereo effects. Then I'll run this though the three programs. I'm just downloading the one @azslow3 posted now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

OK that was easy, I didn't read the manual for UVR 5 yet but it seems very promising.  It must use a similar system to Next as you will hear there's no noticeable difference between Next and UVR.   Mixcraft is just plain unusable as all track come out sounding under water. This screws up the midi conversion of the bass track which is my new workflow to create backing tracks using the original song as a building block. 

So I will probably just uninstal Next as I can't even record a simple song with it. It seems it's target market will be to currant users of the Bandlab app which is apparently HUGE! . 

Hmm, it doesn't show the titles. on my view the one on the left is Next, the middle is Mixcraft and the right is UVR 5. The mixcraft one is pretty obvious. I used the Bass because it shows the fuzziness you get. The original bass track of course does not sound that bad. It'a  Ample P bass lite.  

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Audacity has added a stem separation tool as one of four AI tools Intel developed.  Here is a link to an 8 minute YouTube video that demonstrates each one.  The interesting thing about these AI tools is they all work inside your computer, not upload to the cloud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1