AudioSnap playback not changing speed at each marker

I'm doing repair work using AudioSnap on a very long clip that didn't record at a consistent speed. It's working for the task, but the problem is, when I start playback, the clip will only play at the adjusted speed of where the playhead starts. So if at the start the clip is stretched longer to slow it down, but then after the next marker it's sped up, or unchanged, it will continue to play the clip at the slowed down speed rather than change to the correct speed after the marker. To get the correct speed after the next marker, I have to stop playback, set the playhead after the marker, and start playback again. It's really slowing me down.

Hopefully that makes sense. It's honestly been since pre-BandLab the last time I used AudioSnap (so Sonar X3), but it didn't have this issue then. I've duplicated the issue on 3 different machines, 1 with a fresh install. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

I'm not fully understanding your process. Are you matching the tempo track to what you're doing in Audiosnap? If you're just moving transient markers around manually, the total playback time of the clip will not change, and making one section slower by stretching a range of transients will necessarily make the next section start sooner and/or play faster, depending on what's selected, and whether you're using proportional stretching. But where you start playback would not matter in that case so I think I'm missing something about how you're working.

If I'm understanding the goal, my approach would be to match the timeline to the audio using Set Measure/Beat At Now, and then enable Autostretch on the audio clip and flatten or moderate the tempo variability using the Tempo Offset by Percent feature.

Edited by David Baay

So first thing to know is this isn't a single song with a set tempo or anything like that, it's a recording of an entire play (about 2 hours total), recorded using a different software that failed to do so at a consistent rate (buffering issues apparently), so it speeds up and/or skips a little every couple of seconds. I have a reference track from a field recorder that I'm manually matching it to.

Hopefully this image will explain better...

AudioSnap Problem.jpg

Hmmm... unless something has been broken in a recent release, that's pretty weird, and I can't really imagine what could cause that. Can you zip up a project with a small snippet to share? I'll have a quick look here in the mean time.

EDIT: Seems all good here, alternately stretching/compressing phrases in a two-hour-long interview.

I'm wondering whether you're actually hearing a compressed segment play at the same slower speed as a preceding stretched segment where you started playback or are you being 'fooled' by the fact that the M:B:T timeline is the fixed visual time reference and at a given timeline tempo the Now Cursor will always travel at constant speed regardless of the 'tempo' of the audio...?

Edited by David Baay

Okay after doing some troubleshooting I've isolated the problem to just the clip itself.

Audiosnap on other tracks works normally.

Audio snap on another clip (of the same audio file) on the same track works normally.

What the heck could it be?

Alright I think I know the problem. The clip has stretching (non-Audiosnap) turned on. I couldn't figure out a way to turn it off though. So I brought the clip in again non-stretched, and from here forward will work using that. I should be good.

• Like 2

Interesting. Just saw this and downloaded the project just to see what was going on. I noted the Enable Stretch option was checked (with stretch still at 100%) in Audisnap properties which it should not have been  by default. I didn't find that it caused the problem shown in your video even before I disabled it, but I did find the audio weirdly distorted like it had been previously stretched even after I reset all markers.

Glad to hear you got it sorted in any case. 

• Like 1