Lewitt Pure Tube LDC Mic

59 minutes ago, Duncan Stitt said:

Alan Bachman - the OP mentioned his favorite mic was the Stellar CM5, which is a C12 style of mic. And he said he doesn't like his 87 clone, which leads me to believe any mic with a lot of low mids - like a 47 or 67 - might not be what he's looking for.  I agree Tony Joe White might use a beefy mic, but I think the OP was using those artists as examples of his repertoire, not the sound he was looking for. 

For harsh singers in rock music, I keep going back to my SM7b, but I cheat a little, using the Cathedral Pipes phantom powered booster and running it through a Tonelux MP5a 500 series preamp with the "tilt EQ" boosting the highs by 1 db. I used to use a Phoenix Audio preamp, which was a truly magical combination with the SM7b, but it's cutting out on me, even after replacing the stepped gain pot. The unit is so old, no one in Phoenix Audio's tech department has even seen one. If I wasn't so near retirement (past retirement, actually) I'd get their 500 series version.

Interesting point on the Stellar.  I do find the 47 and 67 quite different from the 87.  The only 87 I would suggest is the Stam 87 T (Tube) which is quite different.

But I think his best option is to go to a recording studio with many mics, rent mics, or purchase with a credit card several mics with a dealer that has a great return policy.

And as I said, it may be the SM7.  Thanks for your thoughts on your chain with the SM7b.

I suspect that the SM7 Michael Jackson used is a bit different from the new model available today.  But I suspect there are good used ones out there of the same version Michael Jackson used.

Edited by Alan Bachman

1 hour ago, Duncan Stitt said:

Alan Bachman - the OP mentioned his favorite mic was the Stellar CM5, which is a C12 style of mic. And he said he doesn't like his 87 clone, which leads me to believe any mic with a lot of low mids - like a 47 or 67 - might not be what he's looking for.  I agree Tony Joe White might use a beefy mic, but I think the OP was using those artists as examples of his repertoire, not the sound he was looking for. 

For harsh singers in rock music, I keep going back to my SM7b, but I cheat a little, using the Cathedral Pipes phantom powered booster and running it through a Tonelux MP5a 500 series preamp with the "tilt EQ" boosting the highs by 1 db. I used to use a Phoenix Audio preamp, which was a truly magical combination with the SM7b, but it's cutting out on me, even after replacing the stepped gain pot. The unit is so old, no one in Phoenix Audio's tech department has even seen one. If I wasn't so near retirement (past retirement, actually) I'd get their 500 series version.

The CM-5 also supposedly is\was marketed as C12\ELAM251 clone. You are correct-tony Joe white song was just an example of songs I sing. since Tony jowe White sings very low where bob seger sings kind of high and so does CCR. 
But I do know I was very happy with the CM-5, just made a bad move selling it. Especially since I did not need the $$$. I did buy some mics from Sweetwater a while back and return them. I have had a Sweetwater Plat card since 2002. Last one I tried was the Shure SM7b. To me it was a nothing mic and my Shure SM58beta sounded much better on my vocals. Tried, as mentioned the Mohave MA-200. Sent it back. all the time I still had the CM-5.

The only one I saw on reverb\Ebay was for $500 plus shipping and tax. I sold mine locally for $150---dumb, dumb, dumb.
I was looking at the warm audio wa-47 for a while. Still on my list. I have tried the neuman 102 and 103-did not like them

Anyway, still the only mic BESIDES, believe it or not, that I liked besides my CM-5 is my trusty SM58b.

I like how a tube mic reacts and duplicates my voice in a recording. Plain and simple!. why? Who knows.

I appreciate all the input.

If I could afford it I believe I would buy Telefunken ELA M 251E Large-diaphragm Tube Condenser Microphone but $12,000 is way out of my range.

I have looked at the cheaper ones in the $1,500 range. Still looking!

Edited by Pathfinder
  • Like 1