Only recording on one channel

Mathias Engqvist

Question

Hi, I´m new to Cakewalk and recording and I have a problem. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and when I´m recording an Audio track it´s impossible to record on both channels. So my only choice is to use Mono to hear the music in both ears. I have changed the soundcard recording setting to Channel 1, 24 bit, 44100 Hz, and in Cakewalk I have chosen Stereo as input. But as you can ses, Cakewalk is only recording on left. Am I doing something wrong? Or should I always set the input to Mono? I usually record song and different guitars.

channel.PNG.588e8118706fb69c18f212c6a2d04ebd.PNGdaw.PNG.a5ca61cddc069b3a59bf097312ee218d.PNG

4 answers to this question

Yes,  Guitars and Basses use instrument cables which are TS(mono) cables which should be connected by the left (mono) input on the recording interface, (record on input 1 L)  this is normal, if you try to use the interface a stereo input with a mono signal you will only get audio in one side of you audio output.

if you use one speaker it won't be a problem.

The only way to get a stereo signal  from a guitar would be to record it with 2 microphones recording the output from an amp/cabinet

or you can find vst's that can convert mono signals to stereo signals

or duplicate the track in your daw and have it double mono and hard pan left and right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr No Name said:

Yes,  Guitars and Basses use instrument cables which are TS(mono) cables which should be connected by the left (mono) input on the recording interface, (record on input 1 L)  this is normal, if you try to use the interface a stereo input with a mono signal you will only get audio in one side of you audio output.

if you use one speaker it won't be a problem.

The only way to get a stereo signal  from a guitar would be to record it with 2 microphones recording the output from an amp/cabinet

or you can find vst's that can convert mono signals to stereo signals

or duplicate the track in your daw and have it double mono and hard pan left and right.

Thanks!