Jump to content
Jesse Jost

2019.09 Feedback

Recommended Posts

Kudos for the Mackie Control enhancements, especially wrt the Pro Channel!  This is spot on... my top row buttons are getting a right good work out now!  They were feeling left out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One minor thing: If you want to import an audio file into a lane with the right click menu, then the lane selection is still ignored!

But this issue is not so urgent, because if you use the import in the File menu or the double click in the media browser, then the lane selection is respected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thank you! The duplicating clips and show note names new features were a must for me. Also, my VST 3 Waves plugins are detected perfectly now. If the development keeps improving it will be difficult to justify the cost of a commercial DAW.

Edit: The only thing I would ask for in future releases is a better HiDPI support. I only have a 13'3 inches HD monitor now on a laptop and the UI scaling could be improved in my opinion.

Edited by Feral State Sound
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2019 at 1:53 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

I meant in the code we catch the exception and ignore it. Its not a recommended procedure but its a failsafe.
You can't prevent the crash yourself till you get the fix from us...
Please report it to them - I will also file a bug report directly.

So if I install 2019.09 right now, I won't be able to use projects that use U-he Satin?

I am SO psyched about the Duplicate Clips feature, it's something I have requested a couple of times in the past. :D:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

So if I install 2019.09 right now, I won't be able to use projects that use U-he Satin?

I am SO psyched about the Duplicate Clips feature, it's something I have requested a couple of times in the past. :D:D

I’ve reported the crash to U-He and they’re looking into it.  they suggested I try the VST2 version, which seems to work just fine.  just be careful to choose the VST2 Satin, and you should be good to go.  :)

*but* if you’ve already got projects with the VST3 version in them, you’ll want to replace those with the VST2 version before upgrading.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the follow-up @guitfnky. I've already implemented a workaround for a hotfix, but it would be best if they fix the issue in the plugin since Im just ignoring the error.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might want to take a look at EZ Drummer 2 not working right in the new version with a metronome count-in.  Not sure who's at fault, but it starts its own timeline during the count-in and is as a result off.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crashed here. Double clicking a clip to view piano roll did nothing. Right click did nothing

image.png.effb2b00c06cf159a751754357b2e677.png

 

This caused the crash:

image.png.9df597955de6ed10a810de8b24248659.png

Also crashed last night after the update (same project) when exporting to wav. I did complain about StillWell MajorTom compressor plugin though.

Will keep a close eye and if happens again try and obtain a crash dump...

Loving the note names on midi notes!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

image.png.4664835a2cf8edbf41ecafac0853503f.png

Didn't crash this way before the update.

Edited by ModMan
added text

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I can't load the metronome sounds in this version... Don't know why ¿Anybody else is experimenting this problem?

image.png.a237dba3045d9f9ff883e669041b3c86.png

Edited by Feral State Sound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try holding the SHIFT key when starting CbB. This will restore files that are missing from the user directory such as the audio clips used in the metronome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to revert the Rewind behaviour to the one in previous versions? The fact that it keeps playing after the rewind button has been pressed, breaks my flow as it feels counter-intuitive and introduces an extra button press: [Space] to stop + [W] to rewind, instead of a single [W].

Typically when I work on a part, it's looped and I face two cases.

In 2019.07 and earlier versions:

Case1: Often, I need to Stop at a particular moment that I want to edit. Therefore my Stop behaviour doesn't Rewind to the loop start, to keep the focus of the problematic region. Once I'm done editing, I want to listen to the results in context, therefore I Rewind and Start playback.
In short (Stop doesn't rewind): [Space] [Space] [W] [Space]
Alternative (Stop rewinds): [Space] [Ctrl]+[Space] [W] [Space] 

Case2: Equally often, I need to Stop to get back to the beginning, because the part I need to edit is around where I started, I just kept on listening after the problematic part, for context/pleasure. Because my Stop behaviour doesn't Rewind to the loop start, I conveniently used the Rewind button to bring me back.
In short (Stop doesn't rewind): [Space] [W] [Space]
Alternative (Stop rewinds): [Space] [Space] [Space]

You can tell, that my preference up till now was much better - it relied on two keys instead of three and needed less key presses.

The 2019.09 breaks this flow:

Case1: remains unchanged
In short (Stop doesn't rewind): [Space] [Space] [W] [Space]
Alternative (Stop rewinds): [Space] [Ctrl]+[Space] [W] [Space] 

Case2: adds an extra and very unwanted Space press
In short (Stop doesn't rewind): [Space] [Space] [W] [Space]
Alternative (Stop rewinds): [Space] [Space] [Space]

Not to mention, that historically, many tape machines would not start the playback automatically after the rewind process had completed, unless you stopped the rewind with the play button. So the 2019.09 also breaks my intuitive expectations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Dear dev team, I'm afraid Cakewalk TTS-1 GM synth no longer respond to key+ or pitch change in inspector. I tried to transpose the key, but the tune does not change. Here we go:

Create new project, insert Cakewalk TTS-1 synth.

Select any MIDI track routed to TTS-1 synth. Expand the track Inspector. Try to alter the "Key +" or "Pitch" . Play your keyboard controller, or playback recorded midi clip. You can hear the key (pitch) does not change. I'm not sure if it happens since version 07 or 09, but I know it works normal several months ago.

I hope it can be fixed. Thanks 🙂

Edited by James Argo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, James Argo said:

Dear dev team, I'm afraid Cakewalk TTS-1 GM synth no longer respond to key+ or pitch change in inspector. I tried to transpose the key, but the tune does not change. Here we go:

Create new project, insert Cakewalk TTS-1 synth.

Select any MIDI track routed to TTS-1 synth. Expand the track Inspector. Try to alter the "Key +" or "Pitch" . Play your keyboard controller, or playback recorded midi clip. You can hear the key (pitch) does not change. I'm not sure if it happens since version 07 or 09, but I know it works normal several months ago.

I hope it can be fixed. Thanks 🙂

I don't think this has ever worked in TTS-1.  I've tried it in as far back as SONAR X2, and it didn't work there either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I don't think this has ever worked in TTS-1.  I've tried it in as far back as SONAR X2, and it didn't work there either.

Thanks for replying, Mr Mark! I believe it has worked before 🙂.

I found the transpose problem when I recently open some old project files from Sonar 8.5 era. Some MIDI tracks routed to TTS-1 had "key +" value saved in the file. So, I knew it was working back then. When I play the project in CbB, those tracks are out of tunes with the rest of the tracks routed to different instruments.

I tried to re-open the same file in Sonar 8.5.3 (I still have it installed in my DAW), and the "key +" works the way it should do. The tracks with "Key +" are played transposed and in tune with the rest of the tracks.

AFAIK, Cakewalk TTS-1 has never been "touched" by the dev team since many years ago (Roland era). That's why I assumed the problem is not in the TTS-1, rather it's in Sonar (or CbB). I guess when Cakewalk introduce "skywalk interface", there are many broken function in the track inspector (which worked fine in Sonar pre skylight). For example, there is minor bug in "pitch" slider that has never been fixed for long time. Pitch slider (in track inspector) is the only parameter we can not change / alter using + and - key, we have to manually input some value using numeric pad or drag the slide using mouse. The rest of parameter can be changed / altered using + and - keys. I think dev team probably oversight this minor bugs. I'm posting here just to let you know about it.

I hope someday it can be fixed, coz these things worked really well in Sonar 8.

Thank you and keep up the good work guys. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, James Argo said:

Select any MIDI track routed to TTS-1 synth. Expand the track Inspector. Try to alter the "Key +" or "Pitch" . Play your keyboard controller, or playback recorded midi clip.

Key+ is working with clip playback, but not live input here. Weird because it's not a synth function; it's just the track transposing the MIDI note number. Works if you put a virtual or physical MIDI cable between the track and the synth, but not if you insert a pass-thru drum map. Somehow Cakewalk knows where the MIDI is going when is stays inside the app, and is not honoring key+ in real time. There is at least one reference to it on the old forum, and I vaguely recall running into it myself in the past.

'Pitch' is working here with both playback and live input, but it's an Arp function so the Arp has to be enabled for it to work at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Helene Kolpakova said:

Is it possible to revert the Rewind behaviour to the one in previous versions? The fact that it keeps playing after the rewind button has been pressed, breaks my flow as it feels counter-intuitive and introduces an extra button press: [Space] to stop + [W] to rewind, instead of a single [W].

I haven't had time to install 2019.09 yet, but I am interested about this possibility as well. My workflow is to use W like you all the time, expecting playback to stop. :)

From the Feature Overview thread:

          "Go to Start and Go to End buttons (?) now accurately seek to project beginning and end, and do not stop playback."

Does the stopping only concern the buttons and not the actual keybindable actions? Or was it just an unfortunate choice of words...?

Maybe we could have two different keybindable actions:

  • Go to Start (and stop)
  • Go to Start (and keep playing)

Then it would be easy for the user to select. :)

Edited by GreenLight
  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, James Argo said:

Thanks for replying, Mr Mark! I believe it has worked before 🙂.

I found the transpose problem when I recently open some old project files from Sonar 8.5 era. Some MIDI tracks routed to TTS-1 had "key +" value saved in the file. So, I knew it was working back then. When I play the project in CbB, those tracks are out of tunes with the rest of the tracks routed to different instruments.

I tried to re-open the same file in Sonar 8.5.3 (I still have it installed in my DAW), and the "key +" works the way it should do. The tracks with "Key +" are played transposed and in tune with the rest of the tracks.

AFAIK, Cakewalk TTS-1 has never been "touched" by the dev team since many years ago (Roland era). That's why I assumed the problem is not in the TTS-1, rather it's in Sonar (or CbB). I guess when Cakewalk introduce "skywalk interface", there are many broken function in the track inspector (which worked fine in Sonar pre skylight). For example, there is minor bug in "pitch" slider that has never been fixed for long time. Pitch slider (in track inspector) is the only parameter we can not change / alter using + and - key, we have to manually input some value using numeric pad or drag the slide using mouse. The rest of parameter can be changed / altered using + and - keys. I think dev team probably oversight this minor bugs. I'm posting here just to let you know about it.

I hope someday it can be fixed, coz these things worked really well in Sonar 8.

Thank you and keep up the good work guys. 🙂

Ahh... I didn't go back as far as Sonar 8.5. I suspect you're right, it may have been broken with the introduction of the Skylight interface.

I've logged it as an issue.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GreenLight said:

I haven't had time to install 2019.09 yet, but I am interested about this possibility as well. My workflow is to use W like you all the time, expecting playback to stop. :)

From the Feature Overview thread:

          "Go to Start and Go to End buttons (?) now accurately seek to project beginning and end, and do not stop playback."

Does the stopping only concern the buttons and not the actual keybindable actions? Or was it just an unfortunate choice of words...?

Maybe we could have two different keybindable actions:

  • Go to Start (and stop)
  • Go to Start (and keep playing)

Then it would be easy for the user to select. :)

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the "Stop and Rewind to Landmarks" action in key bindings. Funny how this is considered a feature, but it's been one of the reasons I chose Cakewalk in the late 90's against Cubase - just can't stand the playback not stopping after rewind. I really hope that bakers will make this feature at least adjustable. Otherwise it destroys the experience accumulated over 20 years... Very close to a showstopper to me, to be honest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...