What's The Synth...

Annabelle

1 hour ago, Annabelle said:

I wonder what that patch sounds like. Is there a demo of it somewhere?

This video on YouTube has someone using three D-50s to make a sort of cover version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy5prYnd-iI&ab_channel=VstSample

The top keyboard in the video, played in a low register, seems to be the one generating the ‘trombone’ sounds. It’s not clear if the video poster is using a preset or they programmed something similar.

In the video comments, someone referred to a preset called ‘Space Fascination’ from an expansion card, while a second commenter mentioned a preset called ‘Phaedra’. It’s unclear if either of those is correct in relation to the ‘trombone’, but they might be worth looking into.

59 minutes ago, David Inglesfield said:

This video on YouTube has someone using three D-50s to make a sort of cover version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy5prYnd-iI&ab_channel=VstSample

The top keyboard in the video, played in a low register, seems to be the one generating the ‘trombone’ sounds. It’s not clear if the video poster is using a preset or they programmed something similar.

In the video comments, someone referred to a preset called ‘Space Fascination’ from an expansion card, while a second commenter mentioned a preset called ‘Phaedra’. It’s unclear if either of those is correct in relation to the ‘trombone’, but they might be worth looking into.

still inconclusive imo, the chap in the video is clearly miming the intro, he presses the keyboard about half a second before any sound, and when he does start playing on the middle one, it's out of tune.

need to get the space fascination patch to settle it.

http://bobbyblues.recup.ch/roland_d-50/soundbanks/Unknown_7.html

image.png.193bdf6f2b4982c6c95f7b6d2fb09443.png

Here are ten unknown origin D-50 commercial soundbanks. Any informations about it (producer or distributer names) are welcome!

Unknown soundbank 7
Here is a 1988 or 89 german soundbank that have been used by Phil Collins (if my informations are correct). It seems that he especially used the patch 23 "Phaedra" for the "Another Day In Paradise" introduction. I also remarked 10 patches extracted from the Crim Media Projekt soundbank. Any additional informations about it are welcome!

http://bobbyblues.recup.ch/roland_d-50/d-50_soundbanks.html

Edited by Mr No Name

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2024 at 1:45 AM, Mr No Name said:

http://bobbyblues.recup.ch/roland_d-50/soundbanks/Unknown_7.html

image.png.193bdf6f2b4982c6c95f7b6d2fb09443.png

Here are ten unknown origin D-50 commercial soundbanks. Any informations about it (producer or distributer names) are welcome!

Unknown soundbank 7
Here is a 1988 or 89 german soundbank that have been used by Phil Collins (if my informations are correct). It seems that he especially used the patch 23 "Phaedra" for the "Another Day In Paradise" introduction. I also remarked 10 patches extracted from the Crim Media Projekt soundbank. Any additional informations about it are welcome!

http://bobbyblues.recup.ch/roland_d-50/d-50_soundbanks.html

I'm reading through the patchlists of all those soundbanks, and I can't seem to find either "Fedra" or "Space Fascination" on any of them. That would be amazing if I could hear what those two patches sound like.

The problem oftentimes with raw patches is that it takes very little tweaking to them to get a far different sound. Without the hardware itself (or an emulator), even patches are only going to go so far, which can be another issue with "how" to actually use them if you have them in hand. The video below has an offer in the description for the (customized) patches used for a cover of "Another Day in Paradise" on (3) D-50s.

2 hours ago, Annabelle said:

I'm reading through the patchlists of all those soundbanks, and I can't seem to find either "Fedra" or "Space Fascination" on any of them. That would be amazing if I could hear what those two patches sound like.

You already know what it sounds like. It's on the beginning of Phil Collins- Another day in Paradise.

21 hours ago, Annabelle said:

A23  - Phaedra      (Bank 2)

Space Fascination is possibly the name of the "Unknown" soundbank

Unknown soundbank 7

BANK 1

BANK 3

BANK 5

BANK 7

A-11. CP-70                  
A-12. Electric Grand         
A-13. Square Lead            
A-14. ARP OMNI               
A-15. Tangerine Dream        
A-16. Galaxy                 
A-17. FM Synthesize          
A-18. Avandgard Hit          A-31. Endless                
A-32. Syncladrei             
A-33. Sakral                 
A-34. Phiel Harmonie         
A-35. Endless 2              
A-36. Presso Me  Strings     
A-37. Spliff                 
A-38. PPG Sound 1            A-51. Moog Suite             
A-52. Shimmering  JX         
A-53. Pluck-Giutar           
A-54. 5 th Solo              
A-55. Pictured Exibition     
A-56. Full    Brass          
A-57. Long Fade Brass        
A-58. Stereo Resosweep       A-71. Sphaerenklang          
A-72. Syn  Clave             
A-73. Sadtrack               
A-74. Zawinul                
A-75. String Ensemble        
A-76. Space Strings 2        
A-77. Saw  Chorale           
A-78. Syn -Brass             

BANK 2

BANK 4

BANK 6

BANK 8

A-21. Oberheim  Horns        
A-22. SynthiEnsembe 1        
A-23. Phaedra                
A-24. Prophet Brass          
A-25. Percussiv Brass        
A-26. String-Orchester       
A-27. OBX  Strings           
A-28. SpaceStrings           A-41. Space Splitting        
A-42. Night Time Dream       
A-43. Sararr                 
A-44. Phasing SYNERGY        
A-45. Bonzai                 
A-46. Buddahs Dance          
A-47. Hammer Piano           
A-48. Mellow Mood            A-61. Synthi                 
A-62. Highland Heaven        
A-63. Fantasia               
A-64. Analog Ensemble        
A-65. Prophet T8             
A-66. Wah-Wah Leader         
A-67. Techno                 
A-68. Soundtrack 2           A-81. Going Up Sweep         
A-82. Effektion 1            
A-83. Effektion 2            
A-84. Effektion 4            
A-85. Chase Sample-Hold      
A-86. Klick Trax Horror      
A-87. Mystic Vision          
A-88. Church Chorale         

©2018 Bobby Blues. All Rights Reserved

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2024 at 10:24 AM, Mr No Name said:

You already know what it sounds like. It's on the beginning of Phil Collins- Another day in Paradise.

What I meant to say was, I'd like to find out what it sounds like in a VST plugin in Sonar 8.5.

• Great Idea 1