Instrument Definition Files - Technical Documentation

Scott Cupstid

Question

I am looking for a detailed technical document that describes the format of the instrument definitions file.  I have searched the Internet looking for something that can explain the use of the "*" adequately.   Is there a comprehensive document somewhere that details the format and structure of the instrument definition file?

1 answer to this question

10 hours ago, Scott Cupstid said:

I am looking for a detailed technical document that describes the format of the instrument definitions file.  I have searched the Internet looking for something that can explain the use of the "*" adequately.   Is there a comprehensive document somewhere that details the format and structure of the instrument definition file?

In my recent experience, there indeed seems to be no concrete "manual" or list of commands in any searchable generally available source. -I have had many passes at working with the format manually though, and I still just find it best to copy, analyze, modify existing .ins files. -I also had to recently remind myself that Cakewalk will properly format .ins entries in your current Master.ins file, when you create a definition setup using the Preferences - MIDI - Instruments  - Define... dialog in the GUI.

I would suggest taking that process, creating a very simple definition (made up or otherwise) - using the Patch, Bank, and Note Names functions at minimum, and watching the way the GUI notates that process as you create & associate them, and then also analyzing the corresponding result in your Master.ins as well.

Edited by JnTuneTech