Who's Laughing Now ?

Tim Smith

Here is one I've been working on. I used sidechain techniques to try and get the vocals in. Basically side chained everything when I sing by a few db. I used Guitar Rig 7 Pro for this and my old Laguna HSS. I bought this new interface and didn't realize a few buttons needed to be unpushed, so I was originally mixing way too loud. The thing I find with a rock mix like this is peope don't like loud up front, but make it too low and it really isn't rock. My Tesla has a good sound system in it, so I was playing it this morning and found I still had to jack the volume way up to make it sound the way I envisioned it to sound, which is better I guess, than making people deaf when they play it. Kept the master at  what I thought was a happy medium while still in agreement with LUFs.

Lyrics-

Who's Laughing Now?

One day you'll wonder
what went wrong
everyone sees all along

Who's laughing now? Can't you see?
Who's laughing now? It ain't me.

Sitting smug there
in that chair, you think you have it figured out
Answers are guesses and guesses are lies
conratulations a useless prize

One day you'll wonder what went wrong
everyone's seen it all along
Answers are guesses and guesses are lies
congratulations, a useless prize

Who's laughing now, it aint me.

One day you'll wonder what went wrong
everyone's seen it all along

Who's laughing now? It ain't me

• Like 1

That's a good heavy rock song with all the right elements but... It sounds like there is clipping. Are you keeping it out of the red? Digital clipping is not the good kind, if you want distortion on everything you need a real tube processer, analog distortion is much easier on the ear.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim, this is a long way from the great Celtic tunes you wrote a few years ago.  I really appreciate your lyrics, which are timely and prescient.  The song rocks very hard and loud, in fact, I had to turn my monitors down a bit, so you have no problem with enough volume.  I wonder what it would sound like if you raised the vocals a db or two and lowered the threshold of your mastering limiter a few dBs (that is, if you're using a limiter or compressor).  This song is gold and worth a few tweaks, but I love it anyway!