Gear you never regret that you never bought (i.e. glad you never pulled the trigger on it)

Bapu

Fender Mustang modelling amp.

I ordered a 2x12 one to try it out because at the time nobody had them in stock. I got suckered in by all the awesome sounding vids and reviews on YouTube.

The reason the demos and vids sound so good is there was a LOT of extra processing going on there.

Through the 2x12's it sounded like you plugged your guitar in to a dry input on you DAW and were listening through your mixing monitors. It was even worse without any amp modelling activated in the amp and you were trying to just use it as a basic standalone clean amp.

I dont know if they have updated them since but my God the first run of those amps was horrible. They bragged up its ability to create your own patches via an app on your cell and control it. That didn't work either. It was a magnificent cluster. All these problems were more than likely the reason nobody had them on the floor, but there were plenty around to order and have there in a day.

I have zero regrets returning that and ultimately not buying it.

I know these are nice guitars , yet there are days when I like to play guitar only in my boxers . On the days when I'm doing laundry..... I go commando

2655d9536eab2bc2defd569d2661d64f.jpg&f=1

"Kenfucius say "  It is one thing to be hung like a mosquito . It is a whole other thing to remove all doubt ...

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 3

That Kirk Hammett signature guitar. It arrived damaged so I sent it back. But the 5 minutes I had it in my hands were enough to convince me that Floyd Rose tremolos are not for me (which I apprehended, anyway). I needed a "metal" type of guitar for a project and it would have otherwise seem to fit the bill (even if I am not fan of Hammett). So I stuck with my LP and SG.

Tune-o-Matic all day for me (or wraparound).

10 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

"Kenfucius say "  It is one thing to be hung like a mosquito . It is a whole other thing to remove all doubt ...

🤏

Sometimes you have to think out side of the box Kenny. Come up with a plan. Expand your horizons. Pump up the volume, like the song says!

1969 R-Code Mach I. I actually worked with a guy for 3 years before I even realized he had one. He only wanted 40% of what it was worth at the time, but a friend of his talked him out of selling it :(

Then to add insult to injury, I am following a tow truck going up I-81 near home less than a year later towing one (not R-Code though). As I get closer to it, he had written on the back window, "This is why to be nice to your brother-in-law. He might give you a '69 Mach I!"

Oh wait... MUSIC gear... hmmm... I am good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

🤏

Sometimes you have to think out side of the box Kenny. Come up with a plan. Expand your horizons. Pump up the volume, like the song says!

Yes I have a plan ! It's called " Say Hello to my little friend " If that fails I still have The Chunkendales to fall back on  :P

Kenny

• Haha 1

• Bapu changed the title to Gear you never regret that you never bought (i.e. glad you never pulled the trigger on it)

Parker Dragonfly/Maxxfly DF-522NN (NN for Notes Norton) – a custom shop build before they went belly-up.

• Contoured and balanced, it's like wearing it instead of holding it
  • Almost straight string path, Sperzel locking tuners, and a Graph-Tech nut. Great tuning stability, it sometimes stays in tune from one gig to the next!!
  • Hardened stainless steel frets, years later, not a bit of wear on them
  • 25.5" scale and 14" Radius, which suits my hands perfectly
  • Master volume and tone, so no matter what pickup selection or combination, making adjustments is quick
  • Duncan P-Rail pickups that give me these sounds: P90, Rail, Series Humbucker and Parallel Humbucker
  • A Piezo under the bridge that can be played alone or mixed with the mag pickups

The only downside of this guitar is that it eliminated GAS. I can look at other guitars, admire their beauty, but don't want to buy them. It may be the last guitar I buy (if it doesn't break)

My only regret is that I didn't buy two of them. I didn't know they were going to go out of business.

Notes ♫

NN02_DF522NN.jpg

• Like 1

New Roland MC-500 hardware MIDI sequencer - $1000 in 1988. I spent the money on an 80286 PC and a Musiquest MPU-501 interface that came bundled with Cakewalk 2.0a for DOS. The rest is history. I emphasize New  because I actually bought a used one for $50 c. 2001 just to play with.

MT_87_02_roland_mc500_large.jpg

• Like 2