Automated Open and Save As

RichardD

I have loads of old Cakewalk projects and backups on multiple machines and drives, including external drives. I have written something in VBA to identify all of the .cwp files and their locations and dates created and last modified. I am collating this to produce a definitive list of the latest version of each project. I was then going to manually open each file in this list and save the project to a new working (or maybe backup) folder. This way, I would only have the latest version of each project and only the files needed for these versions i.e. old takes not in the latest version would not be included. The question is - can I automate this process ? i.e. can I produce a list of files and have Cakewalk open each file in turn and save to a new location automatically. I did recall that Cakewalk had CAL (Cakewalk Automated Language, or something along those lines), but I think this might just be for manipulation of midi data. I did have a quick look on the Cakewalk Forum, but couldn't see anything there. I am sure that I am not the only one who would find such a facility of use. Any help or guidance on this would be much appreciated. RichardD

Doubt if there is. 

Don't know if this helps I think you are doing something similar.  My organization of project files is as simple as I use a main folder with the Date. In that folder are the project folders. So only my latest working copies are found on this list of folders on the Data drive. All older files are on a 3rd drive and externals. They are also dated a system that goes back to about 2008 for me. So when I open a back up drive it is very clear which year the folders were recorded in. 

Important- I have always used per project folders. CWP and Audio are in these project folders. There is no global audio. I often back up using "save as" and always put a date on the back up folder. This gets rid of unwanted data too. 

But your computer will also automatically date stamp files. The date created is no help if you copy files from drive to drive, it just adds the currant date. But the Date Modified often is correct. And if you dig deeper into the audio folder that might also show the correct date. 

So without opening Cakewalk you should be able to organize most of your older project folders by looking at the dates and simply drag and drop the folders to a new location and make sure to re name them with the correct original date. 

Screenshot (1358).png