So I originally wanted to reply toi this particular comment here:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3759001

But, of course, I realized not only was it years old and forum no longer active but I think this should be put out there for a larger audience to benefit from.
As an artist, copyrighting things of course would quickly become expensive if done track by track. Now this may be most true for composer like myself who actually write what they record and mix later note by note and end up with sheet music and tabs for all of it. The cost of copyrighting every song I've written would easily be in the thousands of dollars range by now.

So to shed some light, I must say this... (though, I'm not sure, maybe this is just common knowledge I didn't do a search to check out public awareness beforehand...):
- Go through the Library of Congress website directly.
- Pay the one time cost for copyrighting an EDITION.
And done.

It used to be about $25 last I checked I'm sure it's more nowadays. But the point is: an Edition can contain any number of pages/entries. And an edition can be added to and updated as needed indefinitely. This also is a good way of just accounting for and aggregating your pieces as an artist on the public record before releasing it to the public for consumption.

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2023 at 12:06 AM, Slipping into Sanity said:

So I originally wanted to reply toi this particular comment here:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3759001

But, of course, I realized not only was it years old and forum no longer active but I think this should be put out there for a larger audience to benefit from.
As an artist, copyrighting things of course would quickly become expensive if done track by track. Now this may be most true for composer like myself who actually write what they record and mix later note by note and end up with sheet music and tabs for all of it. The cost of copyrighting every song I've written would easily be in the thousands of dollars range by now.

So to shed some light, I must say this... (though, I'm not sure, maybe this is just common knowledge I didn't do a search to check out public awareness beforehand...):
- Go through the Library of Congress website directly.
- Pay the one time cost for copyrighting an EDITION.
And done.

It used to be about $25 last I checked I'm sure it's more nowadays. But the point is: an Edition can contain any number of pages/entries. And an edition can be added to and updated as needed indefinitely. This also is a good way of just accounting for and aggregating your pieces as an artist on the public record before releasing it to the public for consumption.

Anyone have any knowledge regarding this comment from Slipping into Sanity? I can't find any reference to an "EDITION" on the copyright.gov website.