VST Plugins won't open in project window

Ann Ominous

Hope this is the right forum to post in.

It's the weirdest thing, but suddenly I can't get my plugins to open when I'm working on a project. I double click on the plugin name in the FX rack, but nothing happens. Sometimes, but not every time, I see a blank window pop up for about the minimum amount of time needed to even be able to realize it happened, but that's it.

The plugins load into their respective tracks, and they're working, but since the plugin window won't open, I can't edit any settings. The vast majority of the plugins are NI's Guitar Rig 6, but I'm also using, for example, the Multivoice Chorus/Flanger DX plugin, and it won't open either. I've checked all of my projects and it's the same in all of them. I've tried shutting CW down and re-opening it, and even gone so far as to reboot my system, but none of that helped.

This came out of nowhere, I haven't had any issues with my plugins before, but I'm at a complete loss. If anyone has any ideas, they're greatly appreciated.

Does this problem just apply to plugins that are already loaded in a project? If you try adding a new synth track or just a new(different) effect to a track does the plugin UI window open?  If it does, then the multi screen thing is a very likely cause of this problem and  the plugin windows are there but hidden on another (possibly now missing) screen. Have you had any extra device plugged into the video output? Video projectors count and I think some graphics tablets might as well.  

Could Display resolution / text size settings in windows system settings play a part in this? Anyone?   Has that changed at all?  

Steve

13 hours ago, mettelus said:

Try cycling ALT-Tab (hold the alt key) and see if there is a plugin window in that pop up. You may have it hidden behind the app or out of view if you used multiple screen monitors at some point.

Mettelus, thanks. Should have called out in my original post that I already tried that. When you hit <ALT<TAB> and look at all of the apps it shows as open, Cakewalk appears as one of them, but there's not a separate one for the plugin window. Even then I still cycled through every window, and there wasn't one for the plugin.

7 hours ago, Steve_B said:

Does this problem just apply to plugins that are already loaded in a project? If you try adding a new synth track or just a new(different) effect to a track does the plugin UI window open?  If it does, then the multi screen thing is a very likely cause of this problem and  the plugin windows are there but hidden on another (possibly now missing) screen. Have you had any extra device plugged into the video output? Video projectors count and I think some graphics tablets might as well.  

Could Display resolution / text size settings in windows system settings play a part in this? Anyone?   Has that changed at all?  

Steve

Steve_B, thank you. The problem did occur with both plugins added to new tracks and to plugins already loaded into the project.

But your response did get me to try a troubleshooting step I hadn't thought of, which was to connect to and power on my second monitor and, sure enough - there it was. Now, this is weird because I haven't used my second monitor for a couple of months now (literally have had it powered down), and this behavior just started happening last night but, hey, the problem's solved. Welcome to the wacky world of PC behavior. 😄

Anyway, thanks again, appreciate the assist.

• Like 1

No problem. I can be pretty terse if typing on my phone (I hate typing on a phone). CWP files save the location of child windows when they are saved, so if a second monitor was being used for child windows during that save, they will be out of view if opened on only one monitor. I think someone posted a quick trick to reset those to the main monitor a long time ago, but I forget what it was! I have always had to resort to turning the other monitor on as well.