The Lobsters - Scattered wits

Jean-Philippe ROGER

Groove is solid! Arrangement is built well! Funky understated guitar! Well supported by pads! Bass holds it down! Very cool!

She has a very emotive vocal and sings with passion, which is awesome! I'd say in this mix her vocal is sibilant which is a bit distracting. Plenty of punch in her vocals, which might be a bit overcompressed? Her initial transients cut deep! So there might be room to dial back the compression a bit, or drop compression's eq away from the upper sibilant registers.

Sibilance can definitely be in the ear of the beholder. I beheld it! Others may not.

Still this tune is a great jam, and she has a very likeable voice for sure.

cheers,

-Tom

15 hours ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Groove is solid! Arrangement is built well! Funky understated guitar! Well supported by pads! Bass holds it down! Very cool!

She has a very emotive vocal and sings with passion, which is awesome! I'd say in this mix her vocal is sibilant which is a bit distracting. Plenty of punch in her vocals, which might be a bit overcompressed? Her initial transients cut deep! So there might be room to dial back the compression a bit, or drop compression's eq away from the upper sibilant registers.

Sibilance can definitely be in the ear of the beholder. I beheld it! Others may not.

Still this tune is a great jam, and she has a very likeable voice for sure.

cheers,

-Tom

Thank you very much for your advice and your opinion.
I will take it into account for our next titles

This is great. The band sounds all on the same page aiming for all the right hits and landing bulls eyes. The girl has a great voice, a natural that is 100% recording friendly. Agree with Tom that there is a bit too much sibilance in the recording, that's about the only element I'd adjust. Oh, maybe add another horn or two to give those horn sections a bit more powerful delivery🎶🎶🎶🎶

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Larry T. said:

This is great. The band sounds all on the same page aiming for all the right hits and landing bulls eyes. The girl has a great voice, a natural that is 100% recording friendly. Agree with Tom that there is a bit too much sibilance in the recording, that's about the only element I'd adjust. Oh, maybe add another horn or two to give those horn sections a bit more powerful delivery🎶🎶🎶🎶

Thank you Larry !

Great recording and Talent involved. My kinda stuff.  No noticeable  sibilance here on Yamaha NSM 10 or headphones. Yes on the edge maybe but if nobody had mentioned it I wouldn't have been looking for it. Just goes to show how different playback systems can be. And then I'm also very old.....Great job. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

Great recording and Talent involved. My kinda stuff.  No noticeable  sibilance here on Yamaha NSM 10 or headphones. Yes on the edge maybe but if nobody had mentioned it I wouldn't have been looking for it. Just goes to show how different playback systems can be. And then I'm also very old.....Great job. 

Thank you Johnny,

I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment on our track.
It's always interesting to have opinions from other musicians and sound engineers.

• Like 1