Scaler 2- 20% off with 1 Token @ PB

X-53mph

I don't know if this is only a temporary offer, but pluginboutique.com are giving 20% off for 1 Reward+ Token.

If you have any rewards lingering about in your account, it give you a slightly better discount than the 16% off normally offered.

Add to that any virtual cash, and you've got a pretty sweet deal.

Now I've just got to learn how to use it.... :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 2

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

I'm waiting for a Scaler (any version) 75% off deal.

Honestly doubt they will ever do that outside of a flat out giveaway winner type of situation.  

Everyone will get different levels of value out of it.  For me, it is the only plugin I can think of above $15 that is worth the normal asking price and getting even the small discounts where icing on the cake.

I think the v1 to v2 upgrade price was only $15 or so and the updates from v1 to v2 are mind blowing.  Thus they have a good track record of treating customers fairly.  If you are a master keyboard player it may be of little value to you.  As for me, it helps with ideas I wouldn't have come up with (though I come from a guitar background - which is notorious for approaching chords, melody, patterns, in accordance with the instrument's unique layout.

• Like 4

Is there any value in this if you already have and use the captain plugin suite (chords, melody, deep, etc.) to generate ideas as a starting point for composing? Say if price were not a factor, is it better &/or would it be worth the time? Youtube comparisons aside, i’m just curious if anyone in this community has experience with both

55 minutes ago, dumbquestions said:

Is there any value in this if you already have and use the captain plugin suite (chords, melody, deep, etc.) to generate ideas as a starting point for composing? Say if price were not a factor, is it better &/or would it be worth the time? Youtube comparisons aside, i’m just curious if anyone in this community has experience with both

I have both and they are very different beasts.  Scaler is a lot less random. Both can give instant gratification, but Scaler has more valuable to a person who understands music theory and can grow with you a lot better imho.  Captain is better at generating usable parts that work well together.  I use Scaler far more because I can place chords that are difficult for me to play. If I can think it, I can do it.  In any case, Scaler works well with other generative tools. 

• Like 4

As someone who has only just got Scaler2 and has only tried it for an hour, it's great for generating chord progression ideas which you would not have come up with on your own. 

For me, I'm stuck in a creative rutt at the moment. I put a lot of love into my last release, but I'm now looking for something new. I'm hoping scaler is going to help me there.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

As someone who has only just got Scaler2 and has only tried it for an hour, it's great for generating chord progression ideas which you would not have come up with on your own. 

For me, I'm stuck in a creative rutt at the moment. I put a lot of love into my last release, but I'm now looking for something new. I'm hoping scaler is going to help me there.

This question prompted me to pull out Captain for the first time in a long time. What I do find Captain plugins useful for is songwriting. I laid down a foundation for a song we are making a demo for within minutes. The drums took the longest since Captain Beat is trash.  Eventually everything but perhaps the bassline and a pluck motiff will be replaced, but it did it's job on creating something to write to.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dubdisciple said:

This question prompted me to pull out Captain for the first time in a long time. What I do find Captain plugins useful for is songwriting. I laid down a foundation for a song we are making a demo for within minutes. The drums took the longest since Captain Beat is trash.  Eventually everything but perhaps the bassline and a pluck motiff will be replaced, but it did it's job on creating something to write to.

If you are using Captain Epic 7, Mixed In Key just added MIDI drag and drop receive to Captain Chords in a July update.  I prefer Scaler to just about any other chord tool.  I can't get drag and drop to work directly from Scaler to other VSTs, but I found if I drop it on the desktop (creates a .MID) file; I can then drop THAT into Captain Chords (and other VST's that accept DnD), so it is pretty painless.  Note that Scaler has that RECORD button in the bottom right, where you can use the key lock (one finger chords) to play in chords in rhythm which will be encoded into the MIDI drag-and-drop.  Very handy.

• Like 5

Scaler 2 also has some features that are not "obvious," so learning the GUI and functions to their full extent may need to come from reading the manual or tutorials. Transitioning between chords and using voicings can assist greatly for how a piano player would get "from here to there." I have primarily been using Scaler 2 to add tracks to existing songs, so I have been using it to build performances more via drag/drop to a separate MIDI track, then editing nuances in the PRV. Some of the performances are close, but for sheer speed the final track is easier to build that way rather than try to "shoe horn" Scaler 2 to fit perfectly (which it will not in some of these cases).

• Like 5